Contribute
Register

One Harddrive - OSX Extended Journal and NTFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
INTEL NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Hello, I recently made this build with 1 x SSD and 1 x HDD.
I'm wondering if this is possible as I'm having troubles.

Hardware
1 x SSD (128GB)
1 x HDD (2TB)

What I'm trying to do:
1 x SSD (OSX)
1 x HDD (Partition into 2 x 1TB)
  • First partition - Install Windows 10
  • Second partition - Use as storage space for OSX (So preferably OSX Journaled Format as I will be storing large files)

1. I first installed OSX on my SSD with the HDD disconnected. All is well, boot in with Clover, recognises OSX... life is good.
  2. Then I disconnect the SSD (or disable the SATA port from UEFI) and connect the HDD.
  3. I then use my bootable UEFI Windows 10 stick to boot.
  4. When booted into Windows setup I ensured the HDD is GPT by going into DISKPART, LIST DISK, SELECT DISK, CLEAN, CONVERT GPT.
  5. Life is still good here...
  6. When I get into the part where I install Windows, I created a partition of 1TB (which the setup then automatically created 3 other partitions, I think this is for UEFI). So I have another 1TB (or around that amount) left unallocated.
  7. Windows then installs fine, reconnect my SSD and choose to boot into Clover first. Clover recognises the Windows UEFI Boot (which sometimes doesn't work for some reason, but that's a case for another day).
  8. I boot into Windows and format the unallocated 1TB into exFAT without assigning a drive letter to it.
  9. Then booted back into OSX and used Disk Utility to view my HDD (now has 2 x 1TB partitions) and tried to use the "Partition" tab and selected the exFAT and tried to format that to OSX Journaled.
  10. It didn't let me as it gave me this error: "The volume 'Untitled' is not journaled. As a result it can not be resized. To enable journaling, cancel partitioning and use the "Enable Journaling" command under the "File" menu."

Final thoughts:
  • The "Enable Journaling" function is greyed out for that drive in the "File" menu, I'm not surprised... so I can't follow the error message's instructions (Which is fine, I didn't expect that it would be that easy of a fix)
  • Can I make this happen or do I have to have 1 x SSD and 2 x HDD? (My PSU's Power Cables are not long enough to connect 2 drives on 1 series of power cable so... this is not ideal but if there's a will there's a way...)
  • If I can have this setup, what am I doing wrong? Should I format the 2nd 1TB partition into NTFS then go back into OSX and use Partitions to change that to OSX Journaled?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to know my build:
MB: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
CPU: i5 4460
GPU: Gigabyte 950 OC 2GB
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: 8GB Crucial
Wifi/BT: This
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100

Then booted back into OSX and used Disk Utility to view my HDD (now has 2 x 1TB partitions) and tried to use the "Partition" tab and selected the exFAT and tried to format that to OSX Journaled.
It didn't let me as it gave me this error: "The volume 'Untitled' is not journaled. As a result it can not be resized. To enable journaling, cancel partitioning and use the "Enable Journaling" command under the "File" menu."

Try to boot from Recovery Disk and use Disk ultity this way, or boot some LiveCD/USB OS with Gparted Program and try to to the same.

Oh yes! Recovery booting... totally forgot about that, I'll try that tonight and will let you know how it goes.
If that fails, you reckon I should just stick another HDD in my case so it's:
1 x SSD (OSX)
1 x HDD (Win10)
1 x HDD (OSX Storage)

Try to boot from Recovery Disk and use Disk ultity this way, or boot some LiveCD/USB OS with Gparted Program and try to to the same.

For some reason when I tried to boot into Recovery Disk it just loads then restarts the computer :(
Regardless, what I did was that i just put another HDD in the computer so now it's:
1 x SSD (OSX)
1 x 2TB HDD (Windows)
1 x 500GB HDD (OSX Storage)

Then booted back into OSX and used Disk Utility to view my HDD (now has 2 x 1TB partitions) and tried to use the "Partition" tab and selected the exFAT and tried to format that to OSX Journaled.

It didn't let me as it gave me this error: "The volume 'Untitled' is not journaled. As a result it can not be resized. To enable journaling, cancel partitioning and use the "Enable Journaling" command under the "File" menu."

Final thoughts:
  • The "Enable Journaling" function is greyed out for that drive in the "File" menu, I'm not surprised... so I can't follow the error message's instructions (Which is fine, I didn't expect that it would be that easy of a fix)
  • Can I make this happen or do I have to have 1 x SSD and 2 x HDD? (My PSU's Power Cables are not long enough to connect 2 drives on 1 series of power cable so... this is not ideal but if there's a will there's a way...)
  • If I can have this setup, what am I doing wrong? Should I format the 2nd 1TB partition into NTFS then go back into OSX and use Partitions to change that to OSX Journaled?

You're not doing anything wrong - the problem is with the new, dumbed-down, buggy, piece of crap Disk Utility in El Capitan! I know it's too late now, but you probably could have done what you wanted using diskutil from the command line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back