XFX Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
At least it doesn't do it properly.

My system boots fine, and it works great. In fact, I'm typing on it right now!

About 2 - 3 weeks ago, however, my Hack stopped sleeping and shutting down. What I mean by this is that it appears that the software works correctly, but my system light stays on and the fans keep spinning. Interestingly, the lights on the I/O panel on the back of the motherboard shut off. As far as I can tell it's just the fans and the system light on the front of the case. After that I need to do a hard shutdown to restart. I cannot wake the system at all.

I have another post where I explained the three things I did to my Hack that could have possibly caused this problem. You can read the full post here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56381

Essentially I used a script to find if I had the Mac virus, I updated Java using "Software Update," and I "hacked" my fan cables to get them to run at a slower speed (pictures in the other post).

I've been running 10.7.3 for a while, and this is my first problem with sleep/shutdown. Like I said, the software and I/O panel lights seem to work correctly, but the front system light and fans stay on. Also, when I sleep the system I can't wake it - I need to hold the power button down or reset it. The same for when I shutdown the system.

Here is what I have tried:
- Booted from a clone and re-cloned my OS
- Switched the cables back to original configuration
- Restored the original BIOS (it got messed up, explained in previous post)
- Repaired disk permissions
- Verified the disk
- Checked the org.chameleon.Boot file.plist - seems fine
- Checked the smbios.plist - seems fine
- Bought a brand new PSU - did not fix the problem*

What else can I do? Is it possible this is a hardware failure, such as the PSU?

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

*Edit 5/11/2012

The pictures below are of the scripts that I ran when trying to determine if I had the Flashback virus.

Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.12 PM.png

Here is a link to the scripts that in all of their full glory: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pokfnjlbqbp6dex/9lOgs92Tjz

It has the package contents, so nothing needs to be executed. If anyone can make heads or tails out of them, that would be pretty great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.04 PM.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 11.22.12 PM.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 199
I don't know what fixed my problem exactly, but yesterday I updated my BIOS to F12 and I reinstalled Lion from scratch. Either way it's sleeping and shutting down properly, so now I can return my unneeded PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back