Graphics
GeForce 9600GT 512MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've just spent the last couple of weeks trying to get a hackintosh up and running using an old computer of my parents I had lying around.

I already had an Iogear Bluetooth adapter and a Snow Leopard Installation DVD as well as a Lion USB Installer that I'd purchased a few years ago and never ended up using. (I had been planning to save up and build a hackintosh with all the latest parts recommended on the buyer's guide on this site but never got around to it.)

So this is my first actual attempt at getting a hackintosh up and running.

The hardware I'm using is as follows:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS43
4 GB RAM
Geforce 9600GT 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB
IDE Optical DVD-RW
Internal Memory Card Reader/Floppy Drive (2 connectors - floppy ribbon + usb pin header connector)

I can't remember the specifics about some of the hardware ie. model/frequency/brand but can look those up later if need be.

I started off by installing Snow Leopard using the Iboot + Multibeast method. It was fairly straightforward although I did have to google a solution for the boot0 error.

After a week or so of fiddling around on and off I managed to install Lion and then ultimately Yosemite only to discover that Yosemite does not recognize my DVD drive. I wondered if I had done something wrong and needed an appropriate driver or somesuch but so far my google searches have revealed little.

I tried booting off the Yosemite USB installer I had created with Unibeast and running Disk Utility to see if it detected my DVD drive. It did not. I then proceeded to do the same with the Snow Leopard installer and saw that Disk Utility detected my DVD drive.

So I can only think of two possible explanations. Either driver support for ide drives or my DVD drive in particular has been dropped somewhere between Snow Leopard and Yosemite. Or a difference between the bootloaders for Snow Leopard and Yosemite is the issue.

I haven't been able to refine my searches in google with the right terms to find any info on this subject so perhaps somewhen on this forum more in the know than I might have an idea if I can get my optical drive working or just chuck it in and buy a SATA drive.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Thanks for your reply.

Reading through the link you provided seems to suggest that the iBoot bootloader was injecting a kext to support ide drives at least under Snow Leopard.

I think I came across the page you linked to via google searches before but skipped reading it because the title referred to installing OS X on an IDE hard drive and so I foolishly assumed it was irrelevant to my issue since I didn't want an IDE drive as a boot drive but merely for the IDE optical drive to be accessible from the operating system when running.

I wonder if the bootloader I am currently using for Yosemite - I believe it's the latest Chameleon - could be modified to support IDE drives in Yosemite.

There doesn't seem to be much reference online so I suppose I'll probably end up having to buy a SATA optical drive for my hackintosh.

Thanks for your help anyway.

You really should just pony up the $20 for a new SATA optical drive. I am sure it will be faster than your IDE drive and it will "just work".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back