12GB Kingston HyperX RAM
OCZ 120GB SSD
Cooler Master 750w PSU
Nvidia GTX 285 Graphics Card
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S DVD RW
Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
Broadcom BCM 4306 Wireless Card
Nexus Prominent 9 ATX Case

I thought I would share my experience and installing SL . I have used the tonymac method to install using iboot 2.5 and mutibeast. Thanks Tony and everyone else who helped.

I updated the motherboard BIOS using Q Flash to FB as SL would not install. Make sure you download this onto USB stick and extract it by double clicking the exe file. Also you will need the DSDT for this MB also found in the downloads section on this site. Make sure it is for the FB revision. Firsty I had problems with the Noctua fan not fitting the case due to the fan built into the case. I thought this maybe a problem to remove so instead I removed the fan which sits on the end of the Noctua cooler. The case fan sort of compensates for this as it is close to the same position as the fan removed and blowing the hot air out of the case.

1. Update BIOS to FB
2. Boot with Iboot, swap for SL, press F5 and follow install instructions. ( All in tonymacs guide)
3. Once installed and restarted run combo update, DO NOT REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED!!!
4. Do the multibeast thing. I selected the following:-
UserDSDT Install
System Utilites>all
Drivers & Bootloaders > Audio ALC8xxHD and AppleHDA Rollback
Miscellaneous>all
Bootloaders> Chameleon 2.0 RC5 – Prerelease
System Definitions> Mac Pro 5.1
OSx86 Software>all
5. Now reboot, make sure you remove chameleon CD out of the DVD drive.
6. Install GTX 285 drive and Cuda driver
7. Download and run Lnx2Mac's ethernet installer package. (Cured my onboard ethernet problems... Thanx Notshy)
8. Connect all other devices and install additional RAM.
9. Use Time Mchine to do a backup of the system.

Only thing that is not working is the wireless card. There is a post in the network section about this. Does anyone have a fix for this? http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10697

Since writing this guide I have found my Graphics card also plays up. Sometimes the monitor will go to sleep. Other times I get a pink or a blue screen and I then have to hold the power button down to shutdown and restart. Not good if i am in the middle of working. I need to know if anyone else has this problem with a similar spec machine to mine and if they have have resolved the issue.

Re: GA-X58A-UD5 Rev 2.0 Guide

newmac said:
i7 950 CPU
GA-X58A-UD5 Rev 2.0 Motherboard
12GB Kingston HyperX RAM
OCZ 120GB SSD
Cooler Master 750w PSU
Nvidia GTX 285 Graphics Card
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S DVD RW
Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
Broadcom BCM 4306 Wireless Card
Nexus Prominent 9 ATX Case

I thought I would share my experience and installing SL . I have used the tonymac method to install using iboot 2.5 and mutibeast. Thanks Tony and everyone else who helped.

I updated the motherboard BIOS using Q Flash to FB as SL would not install. Make sure you download this onto USB stick and extract it by double clicking the exe file. Also you will need the DSDT for this MB also found in the downloads section on this site. Firsty I had problems with the Noctua fan not fitting the case due to the fan built into the case. I thought this maybe a problem to remove so instead I removed the fan which sits on the end of the Noctua cooler. The case fan sort of compensates for this as it is close to the same position as the fan removed and blowing the hot air out of the case.

1. Update BIOS to FB
2. Boot with Iboot, swap for SL, press F5 and follow install instructions. ( All in tonymacs guide)
3. Once installed and restarted run combo update, DO NOT REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED!!!
4. Do the multibeast thing. I selected the following:-
UserDSDT Install
System Utilites>all
Drivers & Bootloaders > Audio ALC8xxHD and AppleHDA Rollback
Miscellaneous>all
Network>RealtekR1000SL
Bootloaders> Chameleon 2.0 RC5 – Prerelease
System Definitions> Mac Pro 5.1
OSx86 Software>all
5. Now reboot, make sure you remove chameleon CD out of the DVD drive.
6. Install GTX 285 drive and Cuda driver
7. Connect all other devices and install additional RAM.
8. Use Time Mchine to do a backup of the system.

Only thing that is not working is the wireless card. There is a post in the network section about this. Does anyone have a fix for this? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10697

Thanks for the guide!

Maybe best placed in the User Builds section

OK, I have just found out that the onboard ethernet stops working after a while. Tried re-installing network kext but the networkports will not come back to life.. any suggestions???

newmac said:
OK, I have just found out that the onboard ethernet stops working after a while. Tried re-installing network kext but the networkports will not come back to life.. any suggestions???

Please run Lnx2Mac's ethernet installer package.

It should remove the ethernet kext that you've installed and add his brilliant kext which works like a treat for me with sleep and also in 64 bit !

:eek:)

Thank you for that piece of advice Notshy. It seems to of cured my ethernet issue.

I will be trying this method this eventing. Here is what I have built.

intel i7 970/gigabyte ga-x58a-ud5/ati radion 5770 hd/wd hard drive/ocz power supply

Is there any prep work before I attempt to reinstall?
How/what is FB?
Do I have to use iboot 2.5 because I only have found the most recent iboot.
Where is Chameleon 2.0 RC5
When is the chameleon cd put in the DVD drive because you ask to remove it in step 5 is it the iboot disk you are describing or the Snow Leopard install disk.
Will I have any problems with my vidoe card?
Sorry in advance if im a noob. I should catch on eventually!!!
Thanks!!!

John

johni1cars said:
I will be trying this method this eventing. Here is what I have built.

intel i7 970/gigabyte ga-x58a-ud5/ati radion 5770 hd/wd hard drive/ocz power supply

Is there any prep work before I attempt to reinstall?
How/what is FB?
Do I have to use iboot 2.5 because I only have found the most recent iboot.
Where is Chameleon 2.0 RC5
When is the chameleon cd put in the DVD drive because you ask to remove it in step 5 is it the iboot disk you are describing or the Snow Leopard install disk.
Will I have any problems with my vidoe card?
Sorry in advance if im a noob. I should catch on eventually!!!
Thanks!!!

John

Have a read of TonyMac or Lnx2Mac's install guides:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/perfect-hackintosh.html

Get your BIOS settings right before starting to install OSX.

Things to remember - ACHI for SATA drives / HPET enabled and 64 bit

Also remember that you Snow Leopard boot drive cannot be larger than 1TB - if it is then make a 975GB partition as the first partition.

Use the latest iBoot 2.6
Chameleon is the boot loader that allows OSX to run on your machine
There is no Chameleon CD only the iBoot CD or Snow Leopard DVD - the iBoot CD contains the Chameleon boot loader and you boot using the CD until you have copied/installed Chameleon onto your Snow Leopard drive using MultiBeast
Video card - please select "ATI Experimental" boot loader in MultiBeast when you get that far

Thanks for the quick reply and knowledge.

I'm not sure if you have read my initial attempt. SL loads up (black screen with red apple and hd) after this the screen goes grey with the white apple and spinner and stays stuck there for ever! Could this have been because of the 1tb hd I have insalled. If not do I have to erase the hard drive or just go through the install as described in your guide and tony's guide?

johni1cars said:
Thanks for the quick reply and knowledge.

I'm not sure if you have read my initial attempt. SL loads up (black screen with red apple and hd) after this the screen goes grey with the white apple and spinner and stays stuck there for ever! Could this have been because of the 1tb hd I have insalled. If not do I have to erase the hard drive or just go through the install as described in your guide and tony's guide?

I think Chameleon won't load properly if the HD is larger than 1TB

Maybe try a reformat with two partitions - one for 975GB or 950GB and the second partition much smaller.

What options did you pick under MultiBeast?

I just formated the drive with one partition. I didn't specify the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back