Contribute
Register

Old CPU and Mojave, which build identifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (U1C UEFI)
CPU
i3-2105
Graphics
EVGA GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If I understand correctly from my research, my old GTX650 will run Metal under Mojave with native support. But I'm not as clear on the CPU requirements if there are any. From what I've read, it appears there may not be any issue. My original Hack has an old i3-2105, which is surprisingly capable given being 8 years old at this point. I'm starting to notice just a bit of interface hesitation when playing a video on my second monitor, but apps like Photoshop are still very snappy. Kudos to Apple for making such an efficient OS.

I'm not looking to update to Mojave and realize I don't know enough about how the build choice in MultiBeast impacts the install when using older hardware. I know for my build there have always been recommendations on which selection to use (I tend to use an iMac build) and I've been consistent until High Sierra. But is there a minimal MultiBeast build ID I must use to install Mojave? Does choosing one that isn't recommended for my older hardware going to be an issue?

Thanks

If you look at the list of Mojave supported iMacs or Mac minis you'll see that you need at least a 2012 or newer SMBIOS. Look them up on Everymac.com. The all purpose iMac 14,2 should work well for your hardware. If you're using iMac 12,2 from 2011 iMacs you'll need a newer version.

Thanks for the quick answer. It appears I'm using 13,2 and I've updated to UEFI from 2013, so I may be set. Haven't had a chance to update since my initial HS install, so I'm going to attempt yet another major upgrade to Mojave. I haven't had any major issues since upgrading to Sierra, which required a clean install to get all the hardware working, so I'll hope for the best.

Now to find a free evening and the energy to knock this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back