Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried watching a trailer or a movie through the itunes store? And if so does the picture come up on the screen jumbled? I have tried both the HDMI ports to no avail. Audio works but I cannot seem to get picture.

EDIT: I have tried using a DVI to HDMI cable with the exact same results, I was using the Mac mini 5,1 definition so I changed it to 6,2 went with the update. Rebooted and found that I had lost audio. Without the 892 installed when trying to watch movies through itunes store the screen was just black. But after enabling no DSDT ALC 892 i am back with the mosaic colours and sound from the movie.

I have tried both HDMI ports and different cables. I am not using any EFI strings. Just latest chimera, GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the boot 1920x1080x32 string. Ethernet and Audio only(optical out)

What is strange is that all my other programs run video except itunes store, I have even tried opening itunes in 32bit with no success. I have attached the display picture from iTunes and a movie playing in another program.

Any ideas would be great? Or could anyone try watching a movie trailer through itunes store using HD4000 and report back what happens please.

Thanks in advance.

Waveney-20121215-00113.jpg
EDIT 2: Well I did a reinstall of mountain Lion and instead of getting the mosiac colours when playing it decided to just to play with a black screen. I tried enabling HDMI audio to see if this helped with no success. I searched a few forums and found a solution. If you open up itunes through finder/get info and then change it 32bit it works, I don't understand why it didn't work in 64bit so anyone could shed some light that would be great and much appreciated. This build is exactly the same as the title of this thread.

I had this issue with my Samsung TV and it drove me nuts for a couple of days. I finally figured out the issue: rename the input that you're using to "PC" or equivalent. Really stupid but that worked for me. Also, make sure that you're using the 1080p settings via Multibeast otherwise you might underscan by a couple of inches.

What was really fun is that I was previously using a Mac Mini via DVI to HDMI. So, I had named the input to PC (DVI). When I used the HackMini with that same input, I had the screen fitting properly but no audio. I had to change the input name to PC to get audio.

The best part? NONE of this is mentioned in the Samsung manual.

Thanks very much. I would have never have thought that. I have a samsung TV and it works great.:clap:

Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried watching a trailer or a movie through the itunes store? And if so does the picture come up on the screen jumbled? I have tried both the HDMI ports to no avail. Audio works but I cannot seem to get picture.

EDIT: I have tried using a DVI to HDMI cable with the exact same results, I was using the Mac mini 5,1 definition so I changed it to 6,2 went with the update. Rebooted and found that I had lost audio. Without the 892 installed when trying to watch movies through itunes store the screen was just black. But after enabling no DSDT ALC 892 i am back with the mosaic colours and sound from the movie.

I have tried both HDMI ports and different cables. I am not using any EFI strings. Just latest chimera, GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the boot 1920x1080x32 string. Ethernet and Audio only(optical out)

What is strange is that all my other programs run video except itunes store, I have even tried opening itunes in 32bit with no success. I have attached the display picture from iTunes and a movie playing in another program.

Any ideas would be great? Or could anyone try watching a movie trailer through itunes store using HD4000 and report back what happens please.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 41217

I gave it a try and I get nothing at - no video and no audio. It does not even seem to play.

My setup is with like in post #1 with DSDT & I am using HDMI video & audio.

Does anyone have sleep with the DSDT for HDMI audio? I have no sleep when it is in the extras folder, I removed it and obviously lost HDMI audio but sleep now works perfectly.

Does anyone have sleep with the DSDT for HDMI audio? I have no sleep when it is in the extras folder, I removed it and obviously lost HDMI audio but sleep now works perfectly.

Use Kext Utility to do a complete kextcache rebuild. Let me know if that works.

I gave it a try and I get nothing at - no video and no audio. It does not even seem to play.

My setup is with like in post #1 with DSDT & I am using HDMI video & audio.

Thanks a lot boum for your reply.

I am glad that I wasn't the only one that is having trouble with this, Can I suggest that you try to open itunes in finder, get info then tick the box 32bit, quit iTunes and relaunch. After a fresh install today with no DSDT it seems to working but only under 32bit. I appreciate that you have taken the time to check this out.

Wow, this is amazingly unstable. Not a day goes by without it crashing. I guess it would be ok for watching a few movies, but anything over a network is almost bound to fail. :banghead:

If anyone can suggest how I might debug it, would be much appreciated.

Think it might be time to buy a mac mini anyway, just for reliablilty.

Has anyone got this build running 24/7 and if so, is your ethernet reliable?

I built a pretty standard box-
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherborad - Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
RAM - 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
Power supply - PicoPSU 160w
Graphics - HD4000
Hard Disk - Plextor M5 SSD

It's running as a headless file and media server. Pretty much every time it gets used for copying or rsyncing large amounts of data from or to a NAS, it drops it's ethernet connection. By large, I mean several hundred gig of audio and video files.

Initially had it setup with the Lnx2Mac driver, but it crashed pretty much every time I tried to back up the media library. I switched to the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet driver and it seems to be about the same.

Other than this issue, it runs fine, just not reliable. :(

Just got my H77N plugged in again so I'll set it copying huge filesets to/fro between it and a couple of other boxes on the gigabit LAN tonight. I'm hoping I won't hit any problems, but better broken now than failing in weird ways later...

DavidCling, How did you connect your TP-Link wireless to your Z77N?

Thanks

Use Kext Utility to do a complete kextcache rebuild. Let me know if that works.

Nope, still not working, I have repaired and verified disk permissions too. Is there a log I can look at to see whats going on?

Back