Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I have a GA-Z77N-WIFI board and cannot get the optical drive recognized. It's this one:

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

It's the TonyMac recommend optical drive for this build I think.

It just doesn't show up. Is there a Multibeast or BIOS setting that will make it work?

OK so I plugged the DVD drive into the SATA 0 port and it shows up. However, DVD Player crashes instantly on launch. If it's not one thing it's another. LOL

This is my first build ever so I have some remedial questions before I even get to the install. The case comes with two fans but the motherboard only has one system fan, how do I power them? After that. I think I will be ready to power up. Do any Bios changes need to be made or all the defaults good?

I ordered all the parts in the CustoMac Mini Deluxe:
Intel Core i5 3570K
Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
BitFenix Prodigy Blac
Power Supply FSP AURUM GOLD 500W
Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD
Mac OSX Mountain Lion

The parts should start arriving tomorrow. I hope the build and install go without a hitch per the instructions, thought it does seem that people are haveing problems.

Steve

Is it possible to get encoded digital audio output on the hdmi out? I'm considering doing this build for an htpc but for me it is mandatory that I can get Dolby digital audio (or DTS audio) sent directly to my av receiver.

Dear all

intel virtualization technolog enable in BIOS, but system won't sleep

my mac mini (Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI)
is there a possible patch fix FOR ML to enable IVT ( intel vitrtualization technology in Bios),

since i do run vmware on my mac, if enable IVT in BIOS, my mac mini won't wake from sleep, display never wake up, then i have to do a hard reset

Thanks all

VT-d or VT-x? It isn't all the same. VT-d should be the disabled one.

But I'm just guessing...

I built my machine acording to the options on this guide. I'm reading and researching but don't see a difinitive answer so I thought I'd ask. I installed the sandisk extreme ssd 240GB. TRIM is show as not enabled at the moment. Would I want to enable it? I don't see specs saying that this SSD supports TRIM or that it uses it's own methods so I'm confused. After only starting to read about TRIM today, I understand it helps to keep an SSD running at optimum speeds and that if you don't have it on, the drive will get less efficient. I'm now worried after finding my TRIM is not enabled but I also read that in some cases, if an SSD has it's own methods of keeping efficient, enabling TRIM would decrease performance. So, what is recommended on this spacific SSD? Should I enable it? Should I format the SSD and reinstall OSX to get back performance(i've been running for about a week so I don't mind setting everything back up) ? Do I use trim enabler? Multibeast to enable trim? I'm very new so I'm sorry if this question is not in the right place. I have the GA-Z77N-WIFI, i5-3570, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3, Gefore GTX 650, 10.8.2 (not running Oct 25th special update).

Also, I checked my system information. I'm using MacPro3.1 (to install the latest nvidia drivers to get my GTX 650 recognised). The serial-ATA Device tree states Unknown AHCI Standard Conrtroller . Then the sandisk is displayed with it's details and TRIM support : No. Does this mean the ssd does not support TRIM or that it's not enabled?

I built my machine acording to the options on this guide. I'm reading and researching but don't see a difinitive answer so I thought I'd ask. I installed the sandisk extreme ssd 240GB. TRIM is show as not enabled at the moment. Would I want to enable it? I don't see specs saying that this SSD supports TRIM or that it uses it's own methods so I'm confused. After only starting to read about TRIM today, I understand it helps to keep an SSD running at optimum speeds and that if you don't have it on, the drive will get less efficient. I'm now worried after finding my TRIM is not enabled but I also read that in some cases, if an SSD has it's own methods of keeping efficient, enabling TRIM would decrease performance. So, what is recommended on this spacific SSD? Should I enable it? Should I format the SSD and reinstall OSX to get back performance(i've been running for about a week so I don't mind setting everything back up) ? Do I use trim enabler? Multibeast to enable trim? I'm very new so I'm sorry if this question is not in the right place. I have the GA-Z77N-WIFI, i5-3570, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3, Gefore GTX 650, 10.8.2 (not running Oct 25th special update).

Also, I checked my system information. I'm using MacPro3.1 (to install the latest nvidia drivers to get my GTX 650 recognised). The serial-ATA Device tree states Unknown AHCI Standard Conrtroller . Then the sandisk is displayed with it's details and TRIM support : No. Does this mean the ssd does not support TRIM or that it's not enabled?

I'm using the Sandisk Extreme 240GB too. It supports TRIM so you should enable it. The "TRIM Support: No" in System Info means TRIM is not enabled because OS X doesn't recognise the SSD. If you know your SSD supports TRIM, you can and should enable it using either TRIM Enabler or Multibeast's TRIM patch. It does the same thing. I believe the TRIM patch in Multibeast is based on this.

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Even if you don't enable TRIM, most SSD chipsets has built-in garbage collection but it takes time to kick in as it runs only when the SSD is idle.

Lastly update your Sandisk firmware to r211, if you're not there already, as the previous version r201 has non-functioning TRIM.

Lastly update your Sandisk firmware to r211, if you're not there already, as the previous version r201 has non-functioning TRIM.

How do we find out what firmware version we are running?

Back