Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

OK, I'm going to attempt to move the application folder now, will be researching it.

Perhaps you could consider setting up your system with a Fusion drive. I have not tried it, but I think it is possible with a hackintosh. I prefer to deal myself with what is on the SSD and what is on the HDD.

Seemed to work, I copied the Applications folder to the data drive, then made a symbolic link to it on the SSD after renaming the applications folder to applications.old. Right now I'm installing Office and i picked the SSD but I'm assuming the actual install is going to the data drive since the symbolic link is pointing there.

mv /Applications /Applications.old

ln -s /Volumes/SecondaryHD/Applications /Applications

For some reason it hates parallels. It just reboots instantly when I try and install it, right after you get past the part where you pick how many CPUs and RAM you want to use, it also only has 1 CPU available to use which is odd.

Actually I really screwed everything up with the symbolic link. When I rebooted, everything on the dock was question marks, the symbolic link is now not linked, it's a white piece of paper icon and it says it can't find the original item. Even after deleting and re-adding the link it says it cannot be found...working on it now.

Man I don't know what happened, but the only way I could fix it was by downloading "symbolic linker" and letting it re-create the symbolic link and now some of the applications don't work anymore. I guess I need to go buy a larger SSD LOL...this is too much trouble.

I have used VmWare Fusion on my other hackintosh (i7 & X58A-UD3R motherboard) without any issues. My H77 setup is an HTPC and I have not tried to run Fusion on it yet.

About the /Applications thing: larger SSD is a nice idea. Symbolic links *under* /Applications work for me (most apps are on my system drive but a few are on another hard drive. So I only have a few, but I've been using them for more than a year without issues). If you have some time to spare, putting the applications in another partition and mounting this partition on /Applications could be worth a try. Like while you wait for your larger SSD to be shipped :)

Got everything working again, so I'm good. Got about 6gb free on the SSD. Weird thing is I had only 6gb free, so I migrated the sleepimage to the other drive, then I had 21gb free on the SSD. Rebooted, come back, have 6gb free on the SSD and there is no Sleepimage file on it anymore LOL. I can't find what it did with the 17gb it freed up by moving the sleepimage.

Missing drive space...LOL. Check out the screenshots. The space in DiskSweeper doesn't come close to 27gb and yet system shows 5gb
Right after I migrated Sleepimage to the second drive, the free space was correct. Now there's no sleepimage and the free space is back at 5gb free.

Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 1.15.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 1.15.46 PM.png

It seems like your disk space analysis software cannot properly check some directories (a 4 kb "Applications" folder? unlikely)...

By default the sleepimage is in /var/vm/; before deleting it you should make sure that the hibernate mode is set not to use one with the "pmset" command.

edit: by the way, the pmset command can also be used to specify the hibernate file, but it must reside on the system drive:

hibernatefile - change hibernation image file location. Image may only be located on the root volume. Please use caution.
(value = path)

Back