Nvidia 9800GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

A friend gave me a macbook for free, only need a new harddrive and that involves install from scartch

It's Model A1181, and i'm total unsure what it can handle... will mavericks be ok or do i need to pick something lower?

and then how do i get the install when i only have an windows pc? since mavericks is free i take that there is not much "legal" issues left

but let me know how i can crack this nut

/bo

Hi

A friend gave me a macbook for free, only need a new harddrive and that involves install from scartch

It's Model A1181, and i'm total unsure what it can handle... will mavericks be ok or do i need to pick something lower?

and then how do i get the install when i only have an windows pc? since mavericks is free i take that there is not much "legal" issues left

but let me know how i can crack this nut

/bo

If he has supplied the restore disks that came with the machine then you need to fit a new HDD and install Snow leopard using the built in DVD drive. From here you can create your own Mac App Store account. If the machine hardware is Mavericks compatible then you will be able to upgrade from the App Store for no further charge.

If your friend does not give you the original restore disks then purchase Snow Leopard from Apple direct.

Note on restore disks - other restore disks from different machines will not work.

Easy install with minimum outlay:thumbup:

Adrian B

Sadly it came without a disc, but have asked if he has it

He is UK based and i'm from DK so a bit distance...

What neither of us are sure of is if it can run maveriks or not... what specs are important here to find out?

seen that list...

still not sure if my model belongs there

Check out Everymac.com for specs.
Hopefully you can follow Snow Leopard suggestion already posted.
Macs will not install a lower OS than they came with.

DO NOT TRY TONYMAC METHOD on a real mac.
In the past this was lethal to a real mac.

i did what i should have done first... asked apple... no go for maveriks, but snow leopard

thanks anyways

was thinking....

did an ebay search for these restore disks and found that they have an part no too

so i found my model here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-specs.html

is there a way to find the right part no restore disc?

you may say why not just get snow ? well there are a few utils etc that i dont get otherwise...

The original machine would have 10.4 (Tiger) installed which is rather old today - I have an old iBook which has 10.4 installed and a G3 with 10.3 installed. I can tell you Snow Leopard (10.6) looks and feels much more modern than 10.4

There is nothing of note software wise that is relevant today from 10.4, if you want the original restore disks then contact Apple to see if they will give you a price - they may not due to age. Snow Leopard is available for 129 kr in Denmark, can you be sure you will get the correct discs easily for similar money?

Here is a handy web site for older apps, stuff is disappearing, but have a look for a few things - remember 10.6 gives access to the Apple App store as well

http://www.oldapps.com/mac/

EDIT, this site is handy for spec/update information too: http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/machine.php?name=macbook

:thumbup:

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back