Contribute
Register

Off the Shelf 2012 Buyers Guide Build - Just need some easy answers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi There,

I'm seriously new to Customac / Hackintosh builds but am an IT Techie and know my way around a PC reasonably well :)

To save mucking about I have just decided going for a build that essentially is straight off the Customac 2012 Buyers guide for ease of build and support, even though it meant a whole lot of eBay purchases as I couldn't get items in Australia.

Parts:-

• GA-Z77-DS3H - Default comes with 3D UEFI
  • Intel Core i5-3570K
  • 2 X 8GB DDR3 - GEIL PC-10600 EVO Leggera
  • Sandisk 240GB Extreme
  • WD Green 2TB - File Storage
  • TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WiFi
  • Gigabyte GT640 nVidia Graphics
  • Targus Bluetooth
  • Also got a Belkin Bluetooth based on advice from here apparently fixes wake from sleep issues
  • Sony Optiarc AD-7280S
  • Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Black and White
  • Corsair CX-500 PSU

From what I have read this build is pretty much 100% supported and will work with the ML guides on TonyMac.

What I am getting confused with is the actual purpose of some of the extra steps needed to get it 100% working and boot switches (-v or graphicsenabler=n or y) and where are these boot options actually entered. Some information I have read seems to indicate it can be entered at boot time, others seem to indicate it's a setting enabled under Multibeast. Secondly, what is the need to define a Mac Type eg:- iMac 12,1 or Mac Pro 3,1,.

Questions:-

1:- Could some one please spell out where and how do I enter extra boot switches?
2:- Can some one please advise why we define a system type? What does each system type define or how do they differ?
3:- With an nVidia GT640 graphicsenabler=n or yes???

Cheers and Thank you

Willosy

Questions:-

1:- Could some one please spell out where and how do I enter extra boot switches?
2:- Can some one please advise why we define a system type? What does each system type define or how do they differ?
3:- With an nVidia GT640 graphicsenabler=n or yes???

Cheers and Thank you

Willosy
1. You can enter the bootswitches when the red tonymac apple appears during booting. The screen also tells you that you can push any key to get boot options. Then simply type whatever you need, the command line automatically appears (e.g. GraphicsEnabler=No, or -x)

2. I don't know exactly what the system difinitions do, but I know that a MacPro System type won't offer you options like Airplay, as the have been introduced to later Mac models only. Also I've read that MacMini setting offers you more Intel speed steps.

3. I got a GTX680 which is natively supported. I think the 640 is also natively supported. Means GraphicsEnabler=No.

1: You can type them on the Chimera Boot prompt or save them into /Extras/org.chameleon.Boot.plist (the Chimera config file).

2: Apple enables some OS feature like AirPlay only for newer Mac models.

3: For GT640 it's GraphicsEnabler No.

Awesome guys, thank you....

Anyone else experienced sound issues with iMac selected? In one of my other threads, I was alerted to a sound popping and crackling issue?

Also just for pure FIGJAM factor, I saw a thread here where the OP was able to get a picture of his actual case in the About Mac page, does anyone know how to do that???

Awesome guys, thank you....

Anyone else experienced sound issues with iMac selected? In one of my other threads, I was alerted to a sound popping and crackling issue?

Also just for pure FIGJAM factor, I saw a thread here where the OP was able to get a picture of his actual case in the About Mac page, does anyone know how to do that???

:lol: What he did was photoshop a pic of ATM and his case together. If you have ATM open and want a .jpg pic of the window itself, hit the combination of command+shift+4. A scope sight will appear in place of your pointer - put it over the window you want the pic of and hit the space bar to select and left click or enter to make the pic. If you want your whole screen, command+shift+3 will take the pic.

Thank you for the replies so far. COuld someone please elaborate a bit more on the System definitions and what they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back