Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maybe just cosmetic, but the weird message below during booting puzzles me. The only thing close to a "New item at 7" under an "Add" that I can find is item 6 (of 0 thru 6, making it the 7th item) in config.list/Kernel/Add. It's my USBPorts.kext. And it certainly isn't "new." No apparent effect on computer operation. Any comments?

2023-11-09 Boot Pic.jpg

Last edited:
would you be able to post your config.plist?

Sure, no problem. I appreciate your interest!
Hm... odd, I didn't spot any "New item" entry under any of the kexts in Kext Add section, So I've used your config.plist in my OC 0.9.6 EFI just to double check but I am not getting that "No Schema...." error log on boot. You would have gotten the error log in your first post If you had something like this in the config.plist.

Screenshot.png

@wstrohm

Did you try the ocvalidate app to validate your config.plist file? I've just ran your config.plist thru it and it found 110 issues with your config.plist!

The first thing to do is to clear NVRAM.

Hm... odd, I didn't spot any "New item" entry under any of the kexts in Kext Add section, So I've used your config.plist in my OC 0.9.6 EFI just to double check but I am not getting that "No Schema...." error log on boot. You would have gotten the error log in your first post If you had something like this in the config.plist.
Thanks for checking that out! It doesn't seem to cause a problem. I may try Q-flashing my BIOS with the current (latest) version just to see if that makes it go away.

Did you try the ocvalidate app to validate your config.plist file? I've just ran your config.plist thru it and it found 110 issues with your config.plist!
No, I don't use that. The "issues" are probably because I make a practice of deleting all items with Boolean "NO" Values everywhere, to minimize the length of the config.plist file. I also delete other stuff that the main program would bypass anyway.

The first thing to do is to clear NVRAM.
Have done that, thanks; no effect.

Maybe just cosmetic, but the weird message below during booting puzzles me. The only thing close to a "New item at 7" under an "Add" that I can find is item 6 (of 0 thru 6, making it the 7th item) in config.list/Kernel/Add. It's my USBPorts.kext. And it certainly isn't "new." No apparent effect on computer operation. Any comments?

View attachment 574158
"No schema" means there's a property with a name that is not recognized as valid OC config.

The 7 index means the eighth entry, and it's under some Add. Ocvalidate might output more context.

Unclear what "New Item" means: is it the default name given to new properties by your plist editor?

It could be a bug introduced to the OC config parser (maybe exposed by the edge-case of missing boilerplate properties that would happen to be boolean set to No.)

———

As to the wisdom of the practice of eliminating all entries based on a certain value: It's a risky edit.

Does the OC documentation stipulate that all boolean properties are designed with No for the default?

Will this continue to be true in the future?

While you can generalize that as new config is added it will tend towards safe defaults and therefore will work if omitted, due to interdependence between properties (iomapper config comes to mind) you can't generalize that in retrospect that it's safe to delete config based on a value assumed to be a default.

Plus it's just risky form. If you had previously made an error in such config, however minor, eliminating the config altogether is serving to hide a hazard.

OTOH, taken as a whole ACPI is a house of cards, so why not race to oblivion.

As to the wisdom of the practice of eliminating all entries based on a certain value: It's a risky edit.

Does the OC documentation stipulate that all boolean properties are designed with No for the default?
No, the OC documentation does not stipulate that. Irrelevant, since I delete the Boolean items for which the OC guide specifies the Value to be NO for my particular computer(s). Where my hardware needs "YES" i use that line item; where it should be NO, I delete the item. You can see this in the config.plist I posted above. it worked for all four of my computers listed below and still works for the two that are still Hacks. My admittedly hazardous guess is that the Boolean NO means "skip" to the main program flow. So far through the versions of OpenCore I have used, that seems to be a good guess.

Just for the sake of argument, here is the config.plist that you uploaded with the 100+ errors fixed.
Do you still see the error message on boot ?

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 7
Back