Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> "OCVAR: Emulated NVRAM load failed - Not found." error on OpenCore 0.8.8 bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation D20
CPU
2x X5690
Graphics
K6000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello

I've made my own OpenCore and it loads up fine, but before the menu appears, I get the following message:

OCVAR: Emulated NVRAM load failed - Not found.

How to remove that message?

I need OpenCore to boot Windows only.
I boot my system using the Legacy method.

Logically something NVRAM related is missing from your OC setup. Running ocvalidate.exe in windows Powershell/Command prompt with your config.plist may tell you what is missing from the OC config.plist.

You should also have a look at this Post-Install Emulated NVRAM page.

One of the options listed may fix your issue.

Hi @Edhawk,

Thanks for the reply.

Here are the error generated by ocvalidate:

OpenCanopy.efi is loaded at UEFI->Drivers, but Misc->Boot->PickerMode is not set to External!
CheckMisc returns 1 error!

OpenUsbKbDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[4] should NEVER be used together with UEFI->Input->KeySupport!
UIScale is set under both NVRAM and UEFI->Output!
CheckUefi returns 2 errors!

Errors # 1 and # 3 are clear.

What should I do about error #2 about OpenUsbKbDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[4] should NEVER be used together with UEFI->Input->KeySupport!?

Hi @Edhawk,

Thanks for the reply.

Here are the error generated by ocvalidate:

OpenCanopy.efi is loaded at UEFI->Drivers, but Misc->Boot->PickerMode is not set to External!
CheckMisc returns 1 error!

OpenUsbKbDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[4] should NEVER be used together with UEFI->Input->KeySupport!
UIScale is set under both NVRAM and UEFI->Output!
CheckUefi returns 2 errors!

Error # 1 is clear.

What should I do about errors #2 and #3?
remove: OpenUsbKbDxe.efi

But am I be able to use the keyboard on the OpenCore boot menu if I remove OpenUsbKbDxe.efi?
should do, I have never needed on either my laptop or desktop hack

it is only required for non UEFI systems

OK,

It seems nevertheless ocvalidate reports that the PickerMode should be set to External, it should be set to Builtin in my case, because otherwise I receive some other errors:
02:307 02:307 OCUI: Failed to load images for Acidanthera\GoldenGate
03:149 00:842 OC: External interface failure, fallback to builtin - Unsupported

Also because I'm using Legacy boot I need the OpenUsbKbDxe.efi, so I've set the UEFI->Input->KeySupport to False and ocvalidate returns no errors anymore on that Key.

But the:
OCVAR: Emulated NVRAM load failed - Not found.,
error remains!

Should someone help with that?
Is it possible to disable NVRAM emulation?

There are questions and some information provided below not solutions, as I am trying to fully understand how you have your system configured.

Legacy Booting:
As you are booting OpenCore in Legacy mode, I assume you have generated a boot file. This Boot file would have been created by using the OpenCore-0.8.6/Utilities/LegacyBoot/BootInstall_X64.tool, which is highlighted in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 19.39.50.png

There is a Legacy Boot tool associated with each release of OC that can be found in the OC Utilities sub-folder. This Boot file must be generated and accompany the OC Legacy EFI you created, and it should be located on the USB or macOS drives EFI Partition alongside the EFI folder.

This Boot file is essential if the system is to boot correctly in Legacy mode, this is the same whether you are using Clover or OpenCore. Although Clover will automatically generate the Boot file if you don't select 'booting for UEFI only' in the customise section of the Clover installer.

As you are using Clover as a backup so you can boot in to Windows, are you using a different Boot file when booting from the two bootloaders? Are you using the Bios Boot Menu to select a different EFI Partition to boot from, when booting macOS or Windows?

I am obviously a little confused with how you have setup the two bootloaders, so can you confirm the following:
  1. Where are the OC Legacy EFI and Boot file located, i.e. macOS drive's EFI Partition or another internal/ external drive?
  2. Where is the Clover UEFI EFI folder located, i.e. EFI partition on Windows drive or another internal/external drive?

NVRAM Emulation:
Nvram Emulation will occur when you are booting in Legacy mode, otherwise the system won't boot.

The error you are seeing could be caused by the use of the two bootloaders, one using Legacy mode and the other using UEFI mode.

OC GUI boot screen:
In order for OpenCore GUI boot screen to work you need to add the OcBinaryData-Master/Resources folder to your OC setup, which you seem to have done in the EFI folder linked in post #1.

The usual step is to replace the empty Resources folder, provided with the OC 0.8.6 Release you are using, with the populated Resources folder from OcBinaryData. Add OpenCanopy.efi to the drivers folder and enable it in the config.plist. Then setting Misc > Boot > PickerMode - External instead of Builtin. This shows the OC GUI screen instead of the Picker list. This should work the same in UEFI or Legacy mode.

USBKeyboard driver:
Assumption is that you are using a USB Keyboard and not a PS2 Keyboard with your system.

As @Feartech said, I find myself in the same position, I have never needed to use a USB Keyboard driver on any of my UEFI or Legacy builds.

I have always found that the USB keyboard and mouse simply worked, whether I was running OS X Snow Leopard or macOS Ventura, as long as the USB Port they were connected through worked when the system controls were handed over to the OS from the Bios/Bootloader.

Hi @Edhawk

I'm using OpenCore 0.8.8, not 0.8.6!
I'm using OpenCore with Picker list instead of GUI screen!

The OC Legacy EFI and Boot file are located on another external USB drive.
The Clover UEFI EFI folder is located on the same external USB drive.

I receive only the following error, before loading the OC Picker list:
OCVAR: Emulated NVRAM load failed - Not Found

@rdpk7 good of you to inform us that you have changed your OC setup from 0.8.6 to 0.8.8. As we wouldn't want to waste our time looking at the wrong EFI.

I obviously must have missed the post were you told us this was the case and provided a copy of your new EFI.

But hey, you know what? You haven't done anything of the sort. There is no information in any post but the last, that you have changed to a newer OC release and you have failed to provide a copy of your new EFI. So any mistaken or wrong advise is solely based on the information you have provided and your fault.

From reading your last response, I believe this is the case with your setup.
  1. You have two EFI folders on the same external USB drive, yes?
  2. Are they in the same EFI Partition on the External USB drive, yes?
  3. One is a Legacy OC EFI and the other a UEFI Clover EFI, yes?.
  4. I can only assume you are default booting in to Clover, which has your Windows boot drive listed along with the OC EFI icon.
  5. You are either selecting the Windows boot icon or the OC EFI icon when you want to boot macOS.
  6. You are then wondering why you are seeing NVRAM issues before the system boots macOS!
Piggy-backing one bootloader off another in this fashion is stupid and bound to cause issues. As neither are designed to work in this manner.

You need to choose one Bootloader, OC or Clover and use it for dual booting Windows and macOS. That is what everyone else does.

Don't use two bootloader's unless you are using the Bios Boot Menu to select different EFI partitions, when you want to boot different OS's that are on separate drives.

The EFI for any given OS should be installed to the OS drive's EFI Partition, if that is how you want your system to run.

An external USB drive is normally used to store a copy of your EFI, as a safeguard against not being able to boot your system from the main drive(s), not as your main boot option.

Have you bothered reading any of the guides on this or the Dortania site, as that is a fundamental element of using either bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back