Contribute
Register

October 18th 2021 Apple Event: M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thinking on this is evolving minute by minute! Current state of mind:
Sure sign you pulled the trigger too early…
But if you cancel your order now I suppose you'd have to wait even for the base 14" model and you won't get your old laptop back. So it's probably best, and easiest, to assume your choice (poor you!) and enjoy the up-spec'd 14" MBP, for both mobile and docked use, until there is an AppleSilicon Mac Pro or a M2 iMac that is much better than the M1 Pro.

Otherwise, get a refund and use it for a rehabilitation clinic to treat your consumerist addiction. ;)

Otherwise, get a refund and use it for a rehabilitation clinic to treat your consumerist addiction. ;)
This is a replacement for my 2012 MacBook Air. A new purchase after 9 years. NINE YEARS. How does that constitute an addiction?

I should ask you about going to rehab! ;)

I was thinking about the habit of buying, cancelling, re-buying, sending back unboxed, re-buying… ;)
9 years is not bad, enjoy your M1 Pro upgrade!

typed from a late 2013 13" MBP (no update foreseen at this stage)

Max at MaxTech YT channel is as giddy as a kid at Christmas unboxing his first M1 Pro MBP.

In the video he is comparing the outgoing 2019 13" Coffee Lake based MBP to the newest 14" M1 Pro base model.

Even though you expect it, the differences in the temps the CPU runs at under load is somewhat shocking when you witness it first hand. The new ventilation system in the 14" and 16" is quite well done to keep these cool and quiet.

The value of the older Intel MBPs is dropping very quickly, especially after you see reviews like this. Makes for some really good deals on Ebay for those who still want/need Intel laptops for whatever reason. I'd say that the new Mini LED display with ProMotion alone is worth the extra money over the older 2019/2020 Core i5 Intel models.

The Yuryev brothers are so hyped up about these that they created and posted a 38 minute long comparison video. Hope they are taking some time to sleep at night ! They're probably drinking a lot of strong coffee or even "energy" drinks to keep making all the new M1 Pro/Max content.

Last edited:
Delivery expected on Tuesday the 2nd. Nice to see many glowing reviews by those who purchased these items to review on their channels. They're less likely to suffer from confirmation bias than people like me who bought one for personal use.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 8.11.20 AM.png

Update: Mine has been shipped via FedEx. UPS is apparently encountering flight delays to some destinations.

Last edited:
The Yuryev brothers are so hyped up about these that they created and posted a 38 minute long comparison video. Hope they are taking some time to sleep at night ! They're probably drinking a lot of strong coffee or even "energy" drinks to keep making all the new M1 Pro/Max content.

You could clearly lay this at the feet of Intel and their failures to address issues with their x86 processor architecture; heat, battery life, screens, graphics, you could go a long time identifying the issues with these laptops, not all of which is Intel caused (AMD and Nvidia has some part in this too).

Now Apple has clearly demonstrated the success of their new approach. If Apple improves the performance with desktops, for instance say the new Mac Pros next year, and does as much for desktops as these new Apple laptops have done for their class (portable computers), Intel, AMD, Nvidia all have very good reason to worry.

Reasonably, Intel, AMD and Nvidia are all safe because Apple will not take up 100% of the CPU and GPU market. Apple has neither the manufacturing capacity, nor even the will to compete at the lower end of the market. The high-end GPU market is also safe from AppleSilicon, for now.

But AppleSilicon will take some wind out of the sails of x86. And if that example inspires further architectures, possibly with their own OS, computing may get exciting again. Let's roll back to the 90s, when there was Microsft on x86, Apple on 68k and then PowerPC, NeXT on 68k and then x86, Sun on SPARC, SGI on MIPS, BeOS on PowerPC and then x86…

Well, I didn't say they are all going to fail. I said they have reason to worry, but only if Apple can deliver as well with desktops (which I think they can).....and if I were them (Intel et al), I would, at least, be very concerned (ie - worry).

If this (Apple silicon) stimulates changes in the x86 architecture or a replacement that's better, I think that's a very good thing.

Okay, back to deliveries: my M1Max is set to be delivered this Friday, but it may be Monday or Tuesday. After reviewing the video in the post by @trs96, I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back