Contribute
Register

October 18th 2021 Apple Event: M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought to share this interesting piece of info I managed to read earlier today.
It is a table that shows the actual power efficiency of the M1 chip vs the new M1 Pro and M1 Max in normal use.

View attachment 531438

It seems the 1st M1 chip is actually incredibly efficient compared to the two newer chips!
Don’t forget that the new MacBooks also are running promotion and a higher resolution (and thus pixel count). Secondly, m1 has 4 performance cores while M1x has 8. Thirdly, the 14” is using pcie4.0, with a much faster ssd, running more RAM, and also it has more thundebolt controllers (and pcie lanes). Fourthly, M1x (M1x here means m1 pro and m1 max) has far more graphics cores, up to 32 compared to 7 or 8 on the m1. The M1x MacBooks are a much different beast.

I’m sure if a m1 MacBook had the same display resolution and refresh rate of the 14”, pcie4.0, RAM configuration and so forth, battery life would be worse. Albeit I don’t know by how much.

All of that being said, m1 is still on sale, so for users who don’t need the unleashed power of M1x, pick up an m1 laptop with its incredible battery life and price for performance.

Last edited:
From Verdict.co.uk

The new generation of Intel CPUs will be critical to the company’s performance in the PC chip market this decade. Alder Lake, to be released later in 2021, is claimed by Intel to have a 19% increase in performance per watt compared to previous generations. If Intel delivers on such promises, then the company could likely regain its position at the top in the CPU industry. Analytics companies such as GlobalData rank Intel among the leaders, but nobody has it as number one.

Fumbled manufacturing processes have caused Intel to lose its crown as the world’s foremost semiconductor manufacturer for PCs. The company’s chip yields have not been good enough even before the current shortage, and its rivals, such as Samsung and AMD, have been able to bring better chips to market, for a cheaper price.

With the arrival of Pat Gelsinger as CEO, a processor engineer by trade, and an innovative helmsman, Intel has been making grand proclamations about its plans to dominate the sub-5nm generation of chips. Alder Lake, which is made using a 10 nanometer (nm) process called Intel 7, will be followed by Raptor Lake in 2022, then Meteor Lake in 2023 which will use a 7nm process called Intel 4. Only by that point does the company see itself regaining top spot.

Thermal problems have beleaguered the company’s chips recently and Intel is not providing information on Alder Lake’s thermal performance. Should Alder Lake also experience heating issues, then this will impact sales and further damage confidence in the brand.

Intel’s breadth of IP, buy-side power, and brand equity amongst gaming enthusiasts – who are, after all, the main market for these products at launch – could see the company regain top spot if all goes well. But Intel is already behind. Apple’s ARM-based M1 system on a chip, which shipped late 2020, is already using a 5nm process manufactured by TSMC and received rave reviews. 5nm chips from AMD are also rumored to be released in 2022 after its 7nm chips were also well received.

Last edited:
Just three questions I have.

How many Macs containing Alder Lake CPUs will Apple be shipping later this year ?
How much support will there be in macOS 12 Monterey ?
Even if they could outperform M1 chips of what use would they be to us hackintoshers ?

Build an Alder Lake Z690 chipset PC and even getting it to boot macOS Monterey will be a rather challenging propsition. It may be possible with a lot of spoofing and hacking but, I doubt many people will have much success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back