Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3 GB
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew of a fix for a OC 0.7.0 Haswell PC (macOS Big Sur 11.5.1) not being able to go into sleep mode. Upon returning to the computer, it will wake up from sleep at the main login screen and after entering my password, it will mention that my Mac had an error and had to restart, usually due to a cpu kernel panic of some kind. I attached my config.plist for reference. I've only had this build for a few months now and was working great at the beginning. To be honest, I'm not sure what caused it. I know I updated all the kexts, OC to 0.7.0, and macOS to 11.2+ some time in June and that's when I began to notice it. Tried rolling OC and macOS back, and still does the same thing. I'm just resorting to shutting down my Hackintosh after each use, but it's kinda of a pain to always do that, so I did some minor research and haven't found a definitive fix for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• config.plist
    26.5 KB · Views: 41
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew of a fix for a OC 0.7.0 Haswell PC (macOS Big Sur 11.5.1) not being able to go into sleep mode. Upon returning to the computer, it will wake up from sleep at the main login screen and after entering my password, it will mention that my Mac had an error and had to restart, usually due to a cpu kernel panic of some kind. I attached my config.plist for reference. I've only had this build for a few months now and was working great at the beginning. To be honest, I'm not sure what caused it. I know I updated all the kexts, OC to 0.7.0, and macOS to 11.2+ some time in June and that's when I began to notice it. Tried rolling OC and macOS back, and still does the same thing. I'm just resorting to shutting down my Hackintosh after each use, but it's kinda of a pain to always do that, so I did some minor research and haven't found a definitive fix for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
this can solve a lot of issues:

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew of a fix for a OC 0.7.0 Haswell PC (macOS Big Sur 11.5.1) not being able to go into sleep mode.

@TheQbanMamba,

The first thing to check is that you are using native CPU power management using SSDT-PLUG.

Many Z97 motherboards have on board HUB's and 3rd party USB controllers, it is important to create a USB Map using the methods in the above link, on board Hubs and 3rd party USB controllers should be set to type "Internal" with a value of 0xFF.

However even with a correct USB Map you can still have sleep/wake problems.

On my ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard I ran in to this problem, I have a PCIe WiFI/BT card and if I connected the Broadcom BT USB to any of on board USB2 headers and set it's port type to internal it still did not sleep. The only way I could fix it was to install a PCIe USB2 card that had a PCB mounted USB Type A port and connect the BT USB to that and then Sleep worked perfectly.

I used the USBMap tool by Corpnewt which can map off board USB ports to set the BT USB connection to internal as Hackintool can not do it.

You can easily test if its the BT USB causing the problem by unplugging the BT from the motherboard header and testing Sleep ... if it works then you know where the problem is.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
this can solve a lot of issues:

@TheQbanMamba,

The first thing to check is that you are using native CPU power management using SSDT-PLUG.

Many Z97 motherboards have on board HUB's and 3rd party USB controllers, it is important to create a USB Map using the methods in the above link, on board Hubs and 3rd party USB controllers should be set to type "Internal" with a value of 0xFF.

However even with a correct USB Map you can still have sleep/wake problems.

On my ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard I ran in to this problem, I have a PCIe WiFI/BT card and if I connected the Broadcom BT USB to any of on board USB2 headers and set it's port type to internal it still did not sleep. The only way I could fix it was to install a PCIe USB2 card that had a PCB mounted USB Type A port and connect the BT USB to that and then Sleep worked perfectly.

I used the USBMap tool by Corpnewt which can map off board USB ports to set the BT USB connection to internal as Hackintool can not do it.

You can easily test if its the BT USB causing the problem by unplugging the BT from the motherboard header and testing Sleep ... if it works then you know where the problem is.

Cheers
Jay
I think you both are correct that I still need to map the USB ports, which I haven't gotten around to. However, upon unplugging the BT from the MB header, I no longer have as many issues waking up from sleep. What USB 2 PCIe card do you recommend? This is the WIFI/BT card I have: BCM94360CD

I think you both are correct that I still need to map the USB ports, which I haven't gotten around to. However, upon unplugging the BT from the MB header, I no longer have as many issues waking up from sleep. What USB 2 PCIe card do you recommend?

@TheQtanMamba,

It was an unbranded USB2 PCIe card that I bought on eBay a few years ago similar to this one :-

I cut the internal USB2 header off the cable that connects the BT to the motherboard and soldered a USB2 Type A connector to it and plugged it to the USB2 PCIe card, then created a custom port map using the USBMap tool by Corpnewt (link in my post above).

It works great and solved the Sleep/Wake issue with my Z97 motherboard.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

As someone who isn't well-versed in soldering, would you recommend purchasing a Fenvi T919 that doesn't require a motherboard usb header to power the BT and therefore doesn't need a pci-e usb card?

I also have macOS Big Sur, so I haven't been able to find the port limit removal patch when following the directions from above. Do you happen to know the Big Sur specific patch?

Last edited:
The OpenCore USB port limit patch equivalent is achieved by enabling Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry.

As someone who isn't well-versed in soldering, would you recommend purchasing a Fenvi T919 that doesn't require a motherboard usb header to power the BT and therefore doesn't need a pci-e usb card?

@TheQbanMamba,

I'm not familiar with the Fenvi T919 but I'm pretty sure that all WiFI/BT Combo PCIe cards connect to a internal USB header for the BT.

You could get away with splicing an old USB cable to the BT cable (to replace the header connection with a Type A) just cut, strip and twist the wires together and cover with insulation tape, not pretty but it would work.

Just make sure you connect the correct wires together, there are plenty of diagrams on google that show the pin out of a motherboard USB header and the colour codes used by Type A.

Cheers
Jay

Your Fenvi Wifi/BT card does need the BT data cable connected. It doesn't need any power, just data.

There is a guide on how to make your own USB 2 type A BT data connector from an old USB cable.

If you don't want the do it yourself job, just buy one pre-made from Amazon.

Last edited:
I mapped the USB ports with the USB2 card and without. I noticed that when connecting to the USB2 card, it didn't recognize the Broadcom device, but if I connected to the motherboard USB header or a USB port outside of the case, it did.

I used the IDC Dupont header to USB A, and airdrop/BT works when connecting to the motherboard header or a functioning USB port on the outside USB 2 ports of the motherboard. For whatever reason, it isn't working with the PCI-E USB 2 card. I tried several different slots, the PCIEX 1,4,8. The card is from StarTech on amazon because I wanted to get it quicker, but it isn't recognizing the Broadcom device and airdrop isn't working. I'm not sure where to proceed from here. I ordered the one @jaymonkey recommended and we'll see what happens when I get that one.

When I mapped the USB ports, the USB3 port on the front of the case, and four USB3 ports on the back, they have no secondary ports for USB2 or at least they didn't work when I plugged in a USB2 flash drive. It also didn't work in the OS either. So I only have 3 ports that are USB 2, and 2 ports that function as both USB3/2. The other 5 are USB 3 only. Seems fishy to me. I thought all USB 3 were backwards compatible. Could that possibly be why I'm having the issues I'm having? If you want to see my config.plist I can attach that as well.

The attached screenshot is when I attached to the motherboard header. That's why the Broadcom is being recognized, I just wanted to illustrate how the USB 3s are not working as USB 2s. It could have something to do with the hubs in red at the bottom, but it says it needs to be renamed and I'm not really sure how to rename it.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 11.09.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 11.09.18 PM.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back