Contribute
Register

o_mega05 PowerMac G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys,

I will definitely post up more pics and detailes when I have the chance. I wanted to be very thorough so it's taking me a lot longer than I expected. I should've just created a worklog on the site to begin with.

I found it on Amazon for $29. Not bad considering it comes with a 120mm fan. However I swapped it out for a 140mm fan and changed the location. Be aware that placement of the fan is key, otherwise you'll drill into the piece that slides the HDD in place, which was the case for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Sans-Digital-HDDR ... 805&sr=8-1

-Omar

o_mega05 said:
I found it on Amazon for $29. Not bad considering it comes with a 120mm fan. However I swapped it out for a 140mm fan and changed the location. Be aware that placement of the fan is key, otherwise you'll drill into the piece that slides the HDD in place, which was the case for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Sans-Digital-HDDR ... 805&sr=8-1

-Omar

ah that was the HDD rack that I wanted to get for my build but couldn't find it anywhere in the UK. :( Looks good though :thumb up:

Anyone fancy me sending one? :p

I made a revision to my Sans Digital HDD rack. I wanted to utilize all 5 HDD slots but still keep my fan controller, so I mounted it on the outside bottom of the the rack, opening up space for the 5th HDD. I now have room for 2 SSDs and 4 HDDs.

The reason I didn't mount the fan controller directly underneath the bottom HDD is to allow some space for my fingers while attaching the SATA cables to the hard drive. The most important thing was to maintain the no cable look. I'll have more pics up as soon as I'm completely happy with my build.

hddrackupdate.jpg

Compass said:
I wonder if this would fit on the back of the cage you used?

http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series- ... e-kit.html

I wanted to use that backplane but the alignment of the SATA connectors are off. You'd have to adjust the slots that hold the HDD. I will be using the backplane on my next build, but it'll be a custom cage something similar to minihack's (link below).

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=26083

Or you can buy an Obsidian case and rip out the cage that the backplane was meant for, but that'll set you back a couple hundred bucks.

Yep....on the question of using that backplane I have gone through several designs based around the obsidian piece.

I'll put up some pic.s of my latest one soon. Think it is pretty cool as I have managed to get the dimensions down to the absolute minimum and it'll take either 120 or 140mm fans front and/or back as well as not needing anything except regular hard drive screws for getting them to slide. Should allow fitting without prob.s for longer graphics cards and have maximised the fresh air gap between the HDDs so the fans actually still work properly to move a lot of air.

It's all made out of laser cut perspex.

minihack said:
Yep....on the question of using that backplane I have gone through several designs based around the obsidian piece.

I'll put up some pic.s of my latest one soon. Think it is pretty cool as I have managed to get the dimensions down to the absolute minimum and it'll take either 120 or 140mm fans front and/or back as well as not needing anything except regular hard drive screws for getting them to slide. Should allow fitting without prob.s for longer graphics cards and have maximised the fresh air gap between the HDDs so the fans actually still work properly to move a lot of air.

It's all made out of laser cut perspex.
You and your lasers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back