Register

NVRAM Issues with Ventura Installer

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i7-9700k
Graphics
RX580
Struggling to move from Catalina to Ventura. I have created the attached EFI and made it through the first two reboots of the installer, but with about 20 minutes left, I ran into this error during one of the reboots.

NVRAM Error.png

At the moment I am running Catalina using Clover bootloader from a SSD. I unplugged that and all other SATA devices and installed a NVMe drive for the Ventura install. The installer (using the EFI below) boots fine and begins, but as I said above, about halfway through it I am getting this NVRAM error in Open Core.

Admittedly I'm an OC novice, at best, but these seem to be two separate NVRAM issues, one related to the NVMe drive (WD Blue SN570) which I haven't found any real guidance on via searching online. This is really annoying because I picked this drive because it was supposed to work flawlessly. I'm open to ditching it and going with something else if that solves the problems at this point.

As for the second one, "Failed to boostrap IMG4 NVRAM values" this thread suggests that the problem lies in the NVRAM values input into OC but I have no idea how to address that.

I will continue searching on my own, but any and all help is sincerely appreciated.

Recovering to a bootable state from this is also challenging - I had to reset my BIOS and reload known good settings to get past this. It took several tries for some reason, however, so I am wondering if it would help if I added the Reset NVRAM Option to Open Core? When this occurs I can't reach any SATA or USB devices so I am not sure that would do any good.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• iMac 19-1 EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 34
On a hunch that this might be an RTC write issue, I found this page in Dortania's guide and started down the road by Disabling RTC Checksum using OCAT.

In this process of doing this, I realized that the EFI I made lacked needed boot args, so I added those (-v debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 alcid=1).

Sadly, this made no difference and I found myself with the same error.

Per the link above, this doesn't necessarily mean that the RTC patching is not needed, just that Disabling RTC Checksum is not the appropriate fix.

Next steps will be to re-enable that, ensure I have the correct boot arguments, and Test RTC Memory Fixup, per the link above by adding rtcfx_exclude=00-FF in boot args.

According to the guide, if after adding this boot arg, the RTC errors seem solved, this will at least confirm that these errors are RTC related and next steps are to identify the specific range to be excluded.

Last edited:
Back