CPU
I3-8350K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This thread follows on from a thread I started in the wrong place, and I was considerably helped by @c-o-pr. Admins deleted the thread, so I am starting again here.

To recap, My OC 0.8.5 Install of Ventura on a WD Green 120GB M2 gets into a boot loop after working since November 2022. It gets to the point where it should launch Ventura, but re-boots instead.

I thought it might be an unstable BIOS but I think I have ruled that out. I have checked all the BIOS settings.

I re-connected a Mojave disk and used that to examine the M2. All looked OK. The EFI partition is as I left it.

I have used CCC to copy user data to a NAS, where it can be used via laptops, so the fix is now less urgent, but still important.

Is there any benefit to creating a new EFI partition using OC 0.9.1 and copying it to the M2? Or is the problem more fundamental?

An alternative is to clone the M2 to another SSD that i have lying around and try booting from that.

Any suggestions as to further experiments?

Thanks.

I tried wiping NVME memory using the boot option at the start of OC boot.

Didn't work.

Here's the latest. I re-created the M2 boot device on a newly formatted SSD by cloning (with CCC) the system and copying the EFI contents from the M2.

OpenCore booted from the SSD and I selected the M2 when the boot option were presented.

Same result, a boot loop.

I think I need to start from scratch with a fresh download of latest Ventura. I'm out of ideas.

I don't think it's the BIOS, I don't think it's the OC setup (because it worked since November), so a corrupted Ventura seems most likely.

I noted that the EFI partition was an MS-DOS FAT32 partition. Is that normal?

Back