Contribute
Register

NVMe Kernel Panic - Out of ideas

Yes i solved it by changing my motherboard... maybe not what you are looking for !
if it solves my problem then it would be a worthwhile investment. Unfortunately I have limited options with min-ITX, especially if I want Thunderbolt, extra especially if I want to avoid bankruptcy. But better than buying more and more different NVMe drives in the hope that by some miracle that solves it and forever chasing the next "this drive always works" suggestion.

FWIW I'm going to see if running with lower max TDP stops it crashing. The fact that I can get it to reasonably consistently crash when all 8P+8E cores ramp up under heavy load seems non-coincidental. Dropping the CPU Short/Long power duration budgets and dropping the All-core clock should mean that whatever the OS is asking for the CPU shouldn't redline too far.

My problems are back ... apparently related to my SN750, now being used for Windows (not macOS)

I woke up this morning to the "3rd party NVMe controller. Controller fatal bit set." freeze and warning.

Here's what's my configuration and why I'm stumped

Hackintosh Boot Drive: SN770 2TB
Windows Boot Drive: SN750 2TB

I got the "3rd party NVMe controller. Controller fatal bit set." warning related to the SN750 (which is the Windows boot drive)...in macOS?

Is it possible that macOS has them confused?
Could I be getting a panic in macOS, for a Windows Boot Drive ... somehow?
Is macOS trying to write some kind of data to that for some reason anyhow?

Another data point -- this system was running flawlessly the last week with:

Hack Boot Drive: SN570 1TB
Windows Boot Drive: SN750 2TB

Just yesterday I did a Clonezilla from the SN570 1TB to the new SN770 2TB .. all went well and I used the system for many more hours last night after the clone... and then I woke up to that panic this AM

1. I'm confused why macOS is freezing with an NVMe panic related to the Windows Boot Drive (SN750)
2. It it just coincidence that this came the morning after a drive switch on the macOS side?
3. Could the combo of the SN770 + SN750 be somehow using too much power or something else the SN570 wasn't doing?
4. Maybe just the presence of the SN750 anywhere in my build is the issue?

I don't know what to do here.

WD tools and CrystalDisk both show no issues for either NVMe drive.

The SN750 is firmware up to date.
The SN770 did have a firmware update which I've applied -- but again, the macOS panic mentioned the SN750?

(I'll attach the panic as a text file)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts -- I'm so bummed this somehow has returned.

I thought by switching my boot drive away from the SN750 I'd been saved

Thoughts...

1. Maybe I need to get rid of the SN750 even for Windows usage?

2. Perhaps I need to step down to just SN570/SN580 class drives (for mac or win or both)?

3. I really don't care about the class or speed of the drive, etc -- I just want stability!

1. Maybe I need to get rid of the SN750 even for Windows usage?
In viewing many forum posts all over the internet (Windows support related) many people were having SN750 problems back in 2021/22 when the drive was out for just 2-3 years. I'd guess that's why WD replaced it with the newer SN770 in 22. They were getting a good number returned and that was costing a lot of money.

In viewing many forum posts all over the internet (Windows support related) many people were having SN750 problems back in 2021/22 when the drive was out for just 2-3 years. I'd guess that's why WD replaced it with the newer SN770 in 22. They were getting a good number returned and that was costing a lot of money.

Does it seem odd to you that the SN750 being installed at all (for my Windows install) is still causing an issue for my macOS side?

That seems amazing to me (so frustrating)

Could it be somehow panicking when macOS simply does any kind of query or attempted index of that Windows drive?

Is that even possible for the Windows NVMe stick to be KP'ing my running macOS install?

Does it seem odd to you that the SN750 being installed at all (for my Windows install) is still causing an issue for my macOS side?

That seems amazing to me (so frustrating)

Could it be somehow panicking when macOS simply does any kind of query or attempted index of that Windows drive?
Do some booting of macOS without the 750 installed. Clear NVRAM too and see if it changes anything.

Do some booting of macOS without the 750 installed. Clear NVRAM too and see if it changes anything.

After the freeze I woke up to, I've been on macOS all morning so far with no issue

Man these NVMe issues are so uniquely frustrating since you can't really force replicate them ... they just "happen" all the sudden out of the blue - ugh

Ok ...

I did a fresh install Win11 on a new NVMe and totally removed the SN750 from my build

macOS has simply never fully loved my SN750 .. for a long time now, seemingly no matter what OS it's running

Removing it totally and running for a while to see how it goes feels like my only path forward at this point

Hello everyone, I found the solution here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/358947-possible-solution-loss-mmio-space/#comment-2818007

In my Hac I have two NVMe drives of Western Digital one 1 TB for Mac OS and one for Windows 2 TB (bc for games) the latter although not mounted was giving me many kernel panic problems because of the 3rd party NVMe controller Loss of MMIO space crash. I tried many things but recently I came across a post someone who said the kernel quirk SetApfsTimeout should be set to 0 and not -1.

Since I set it to 0 there have not been these kernel crashes. So shout out to the person who put this info on the internet. If you have these annoying crashes too it is worth a try. Besides I am also using the NVMeFix.kext.

Hello everybody. I decided it!
1) Remove the video card, if any. Either yourself, or take it to the service center and change the thermal paste.
2) Disassemble the computer, or take it to the service center, and thoroughly clean it of dirt. Then change the thermal paste of the processor.
3) Collect all this and enjoy! There are no "panic nvme: "3rd party NVMe controllers. Loss of MMIO space".!!!
I was gray before I thought about it.
SetApfsTrimTimeout can be set back to -1

Back