Contribute
Register

NVMe in external enclosures disconnecting

Last edited:
Cool. Thank you trs96!

OTHER THAN THE LACK OF DRAMA... I can't see myself spending that much for such slow drives, though I suppose to rationalize it, they do come with their own enclosures. Oh well.

So to wrap this thread up, to summarize I've run 54 setup permutations in an effort to eke out whether the culprit is something else. It seems really odd that I've bought 2 pairs of drives in a row that disconnect spontaneously, which makes me question whether there's something external (no pun intended) causing the disconnects and that the drives are possibly fine... but I shouldn't have to work this hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The facts remain, they do disconnect, and on this same system I have 2 other drives that don't disconnect and run fine, so I'll have to hang my hat on this and hope Amazon takes my returns and doesn't question it. They say they reserve the right to test "DOA" drives, but what they can't do is test on my setup, which, again, is a Mac Studio and they should work and play well with this computer and the enclosures I also bought on Amazon.

I'll probably wait for the WD drives to come down (Have set up an alert on camelcamelcamel).

Wish me luck!

Just a thought... has the possibility of a power issue been covered? (i.e. brown-outs, surges, line noise getting into signal cables, etc)?
I haven't noticed the lights flickering... otherwise, I'm not sure how else I would test for that, other than the knowledge that my original 2 NVME drives in external enclosures do not disconnect when connected to the same computer. And my testing included swapping drives around to different enclosures and different ports on the computer, including my original enclosure that never experienced issues.

What's the interconnect protocol? Thunderbolt over USB-C? How good are the cables?

ORICO NVMe SSD Enclosure 40Gbps​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B149ND2L?tag=tonymacx86com-20
I have it plugged into a TB4 port. The product description says " It is also compatible with Thunderbolt3/4, USB3.2/3.1/3.0 interfaces (Please be sure to use USB4.0 interface or Thunderbolt3 interface to achieve 40Gbps. "

The cables are the ones that came with the drive, advertised for 40Gbps data transfer. They are very short and fairly rigid.

Interesting, just noticing it also says "We do not recommend using WD Black SN750, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD, SN850 and iPad. Not recommended ADATA, CRUCIAL and other non-mainstream SSDs." And it gives this recommendation chart: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W...3c06bf4.__CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464_V1___.jpg

The Acer Predator doesn't show up either as recommended or not. Neither does my Silicon Power.

I'm guessing you are using one of the USB3.0/2.0 ports on the Z97X mobo. Have you verified that port runs at 3.0 speeds? i.e. do you see in IORegistryExplorer that a "SSxx" name (not only a "HSxx" name) shows up on that port?
XHC14.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are using one of the USB3.0/2.0 ports on the Z97X mobo. Have you verified that port runs at 3.0 speeds? i.e. do you see in IORegistryExplorer that a "SSxx" name (not only a "HSxx" name) shows up on that port?
View attachment 577906
Sorry to confuse - I share these drives among my hackintosh (only has usb3 I think), and a Mac Studio. To minimize variables and issues, I've been trying to get the drives stable on the Mac Studio.

my hackintosh (only has usb3 I think)
I would think the Mac Studio would be properly configured (by Apple). But your Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard has USB ports that look like this:

Z97 USB Ports.jpg

My remarks in post #17 above were meant to flag the fact that whichever Z97x USB port you use with the Orico needs to be configured as an "SSxx" (actually an "SSxx/HSxx") port to meet the Orico requirement of USB3.0+. (I know zero about the Mac Studio.)

I use the Acacias 40GBPS enclosures and Samsung 2TB 990Pro. No issues with read/write and is fast. I also use them between my hack and M2 Mac Studio

Back