Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Web Drivers, Yosemite, and Boot Issues (Black Screen, Reboots, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P7P55-E Pro
CPU
i5-750
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys and gals,

I just recently had an issue where after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.2 and downloading the Nvidia Web Drivers before hand, I could no boot to OS X. System would look like it was going to load the desktop, then screens would cut out and system would restart. Some of you may have experienced this or had issues with the system hanging.

As many of you know, when you are installing the Nvidia web drivers, you have to make sure that nvda_drv=1 is put into the boot arguments for the system to use the Nvidia Web Drivers.

However, after doing a system upgrade (I.E. Update from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2) and you experience the above issues,
Run the following boot argument:
nv_disable=1

The system should boot into Yosemite, afterward, update your Nvidia drivers and reboot. If you modified any plists for your boot args, make sure to remove nv_disable=1

Since there was no thread consolidating this information (that I had to hunt for in comments on a couple of websites), I placed them here.

Hope this helps!

When I installed my system with 10.10.1

i7-4790k
ga-z97x-ud3h
gigabyte gtx970

I never added the "nvda_drv=1" flag to my boot arguments, yet the system works with my gtx970 fine and the nvidia graphics are selected in the nvidia control panel...

does the nv_disable=1 only work if the boot flag is there?

I upgraded my system to 10.10.2 and the new web drivers tonight, for whatever reason "nv_disable=1" by itself would not work for me, after installing 10.10.2 I had to boot with nv_disable=1 -v and -F to bypass my nvidia driver boot flag to get to OSX. Once back in OSX I could install the web drivers and reboot as normal.

I upgraded my system to 10.10.2 and the new web drivers tonight, for whatever reason "nv_disable=1" by itself would not work for me, after installing 10.10.2 I had to boot with nv_disable=1 -v and -F to bypass my nvidia driver boot flag to get to OSX. Once back in OSX I could install the web drivers and reboot as normal.
booting with -v -f nv_disable=1 did not work for me. nor did -v -f -x nv_disable=1 (note these flags are added to regular flags npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1)

booting with -v -f nv_disable=1 did not work for me. nor did -v -f -x nv_disable=1 (note these flags are added to regular flags npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1)

I tried -f (rebuild caches) as well, it wasn't until I looked at the options and used -F (which bypasses the boot flag for the nvidia driver) that I was able to boot back in and install the newer driver.

Hello,

on Yosemite 10.10.3, and a nvidia 9800GT, do you think I could boot using the flags listed above ?
today, when I plug this card in my PCD port, and boot, during the boot step, the PC Reboot.
I tried to add -x, GraphicEnabled=Yes, or GraphicsEnabler=No without success

I boot with clover V2, 3293.

also : where can I find the web driver ? I don't find it here, in tonymacx86.

thanks
Olivier

Hello,

on Yosemite 10.10.3, and a nvidia 9800GT, do you think I could boot using the flags listed above ?
today, when I plug this card in my PCD port, and boot, during the boot step, the PC Reboot.
I tried to add -x, GraphicEnabled=Yes, or GraphicsEnabler=No without success

I boot with clover V2, 3293.

also : where can I find the web driver ? I don't find it here, in tonymacx86.

thanks
Olivier

For GeForce 9800GT there is no web driver support. Web Driver is for newer graphics card.

Try booting with "PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -f -v"

Hello guys and gals,

I just recently had an issue where after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.2 and downloading the Nvidia Web Drivers before hand, I could no boot to OS X. System would look like it was going to load the desktop, then screens would cut out and system would restart. Some of you may have experienced this or had issues with the system hanging.

As many of you know, when you are installing the Nvidia web drivers, you have to make sure that nvda_drv=1 is put into the boot arguments for the system to use the Nvidia Web Drivers.

However, after doing a system upgrade (I.E. Update from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2) and you experience the above issues,
Run the following boot argument:
nv_disable=1

The system should boot into Yosemite, afterward, update your Nvidia drivers and reboot. If you modified any plists for your boot args, make sure to remove nv_disable=1

Since there was no thread consolidating this information (that I had to hunt for in comments on a couple of websites), I placed them here.

Hope this helps!
nv_disable=1
worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back