MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170A
CPU
Intel i5 6600K
Graphics
MSI Gaming X GTX 980ti 6GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,
I followed the guide for setting a fresh High Sierra install and everything went smooth. I installed with IGD set on and 128MB DWMT. The system sees integrated GPU as Intel HD530, but now I want to install my GTX 980ti. I did supplemental upgrade, but when I try to install Nvidia web drivers and then reboot, the system goes in boot loop. I don't know what changes need to be done in my config.plist file. I set my system definition to Mac 17,1 and use LILU and Nvidiagraphicsfixup and the other nvidiaweblib kext, but the loop goes on.
Even trying the boot flag Nvidia disable won't work. I tried to uninstall the GPU from the PCIe slot, same. If I install the Nvidia web drivers I can't boot anymore with the integrated too.
Sincerely thank you for the help :(

My hardware is MB: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170A, GPU: MSI Nvidia Gaming X GTX 980ti 6GB, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000MHz

Hello,
I followed the guide for setting a fresh High Sierra install and everything went smooth. I installed with IGD set on and 128MB DWMT. The system sees integrated GPU as Intel HD530, but now I want to install my GTX 980ti. I did supplemental upgrade, but when I try to install Nvidia web drivers and then reboot, the system goes in boot loop. I don't know what changes need to be done in my config.plist file. I set my system definition to Mac 17,1 and use LILU and Nvidiagraphicsfixup and the other nvidiaweblib kext, but the loop goes on.
Even trying the boot flag Nvidia disable won't work. I tried to uninstall the GPU from the PCIe slot, same. If I install the Nvidia web drivers I can't boot anymore with the integrated too.
Sincerely thank you for the help :(

My hardware is MB: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z170A, GPU: MSI Nvidia Gaming X GTX 980ti 6GB, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000MHz

Which GPU are you trying to use as the primary?

I'd like to set the GTX 980ti as the primary GPU because I use the machine with Windows OS on another SSD and I don't want to change the HDMI port every time I boot High Sierra.
I am doing a fresh install again. Then I'll install supplemental update again. Once finished I think I'll try the disable SIP mode.

Followed the steps in post #2 completely, what eventually made it work for me:

- Don't use any extra kexts (no lilu, no nvidiawebfixup, no nvidialibval, etc. Only FakeSMC for now)
- Make sure you enable SIP as said (CsrActiveConfig 0x0)
- Set SIP to 0x3 before rebooting after installing the drivers (i kept setting it constantly to 0x67 as i had with Sierra)
- Don't forget to touch the extension folders as described
- I only added the NvidiaWeb flag to config.plist before rebooting after installation.

Updating to the supplemental update for High Sierra broke everything again so currently in the process of redoing everything again... Will update then first and then install the latest version of the webdrivers. Will try using a different SMBios then as well, got it working with 18.3 but 17.1 would be more suitable for my system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back