Contribute
Register

NVIDIA or ATI and WHY?

NVIDIA or ATI and WHY?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an ATI and am wishing i hadn't... Based on comments.... Was listed as desirable in the builds... Am i in trouble?

cant find the iboot-ATI image either, So wondering which iBoot to use....

ordered GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD5770 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card, Retail GV-R577UD-1GD

And now am stuck with it - Any comments links etc to help me get this to run?
Sigh.

Also trying to Hackentosh a Dell 1525, Or do i need to look elsewhere for anyone sucessful and hints on how to...

Many Thanks for any comments

Advanced/kexts/graphics/enablers/aty_init vervet
Advanced/com.apple.boot.plist/32-bit graphicsenabler=no

I don't have that ATI, but the more compatible solution instead of using an injector seems to me:
using Kabyl's boot with following in the com.apple.boot.plist:
<AtiFb>
<Vervet>
<GraphicsEnabler>
<Yes>

You don't even have to use the AtiFB command as it usually loads the right one and get the video bios from the card.

djmartain said:
It was a pain to get my HD5870 working but when chameleon will get updated with the support for the Ati cards the compatibility will be about the same i guess.

ATI is now natively supported with the latest osx.

Djamartin,

Which card have you got? Is it a Sapphire HD 5870 VAPOR-X 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E ?

I'm now rethinking my build specs...

I put an Nvidia GTX 285, because I work with video edition, with premiere CS5 and the CUDA system, they can bring me the maximum power.
Real Time preview in the time line with Full HD and H264 codec. The system that gives this power it´s call Mercury PlayBack on premiere CS5.

Ati doesn´t gime this power until today.

Sorry about my little english, I hope you understand me.

Charies

I have an LG 245WP 24 inch display with no DVI port, HDMI only. In both Windows and Mac OSx this display was detected as TV with nVidia 9600 - picture was shifted so part of it was out of screen, and also it was either streched over the borders of screen or contracted. In Windows I found solution to fix EDID in registry, but same doesn't work for Mac. Now I have ATI 5750 and no problems with screen size in both OS's.

P.S. Another problem raised after 10.6.5 update - I couldn't manage Mac OSx to work without save mode, but that's another story.

eMatoS said:
You don't even have to use the AtiFB command as it usually loads the right one and get the video bios from the card.

Maybe this works on the 57xx series, but if i don't choose the right framebuffer on my Radeon 4670 the screen goes black after booting and on my 5850 MacOSX crashes with an black screen and the GFX-card fan runs at full speed.

I started with the GTS 250, excellent price vs performance value. The card simply worked.

Recently upgraded to a 5870, and seeing that ATI is easily supported now it was easy to get setup.

Noticeable performance gain in Unity 3D and for 3D gaming under VMWare.

Is it worth the extra cost? Depends on what you need, both are excellent solutions.

Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL: GTS 250 = 29.23 / XFX 5870 = 35.83

Eh I'll never buy an Nvidia product again, it's one of the main reasons I chose not to upgrade my mac mini and instead went the hackintosh route.

Just need to look at the hundred of thousands of people Nvidia screwed with their GF8 series production issues. Sure they admitted there was an issue and passed money onto OEMs who supplied GF8 based solutions, but they shut their mouths as to which chips were affected, which in turn gave the OEMs deniability. Took me four months of fighting with HP to get an affected gf8400m based laptop fixed that died about three months out of warranty. It was only because the issue was going to small claims court that they finally gave in. It was still legally covered by a statutory warranty here so they couldn't have won, though I bet in 99% of cases like this people just got fobbed off and gave up.

I've had plenty of issues in the past with various makes of Riva128, TNT, TNT2, Geforce, Geforce 2 based cards when I was working in IT, it was enough to put me off for a long time (though I have tended to go where the performance is). In contrast ATI problems have been pretty rare and generally related to crappy drivers or products from low quality vendors. In my opinion Nvidia seems to specify their clock speeds and acceptable heat levels too high for the hardware and it seems to be the root cause of most issues.

This is not to say that all Nvidia products are bad, just that they seem to be a bit more prone to hardware issues in my experience.

Advanced/kexts/graphics/enablers/aty_init vervet
Advanced/com.apple.boot.plist/32-bit graphicsenabler=no

Well then have fun running your OSX in 32-bit mode. I want to run mine in 64-bit. Will 5770, 5850, or 5870 work with GraphicsEnabler=Yes in 64-bit mode?
I currently have the 4850 and can't for the life of me get it working in 64-bit, while 32-bit runs fine with ATY_init (if anyone have a tip for that, it would be greatly appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back