Contribute
Register

Nvidia GTX970 Graphics Disabling / Enabling (Flickering)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Home Built Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX970, 3 x Monitors (1920 x 1080)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been having trouble for a while with my screens turning off and immediately back on again (so frequently now its almost unusable).

Each time it occurs these entries appear in the event log

default 10:24:59.241380 +0000 kernel kPEDisableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.322581 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.409450 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.414803 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.424467 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.429909 +0000 kernel kPEDisableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.446867 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.499073 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:24:59.565793 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.004950 +0000 kernel kPEDisableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.105231 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.192440 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.197699 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.207036 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.212454 +0000 kernel kPEDisableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.229401 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1
default 10:25:00.282418 +0000 kernel kPEEnableScreen 1

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.1 with the Nvidia Web drivers 367.15.10.15f01.

It used to occur infrequently on 10.11.x, and was completely stable on 10.10.x. The video card has no such issues when booting into Windows (hence I don't believe there is any hardware fault)

I'm running 3 monitors of the card all at 1920 x 1080 resolution at 60hz

Has anyone else seen this type of issue before?

I might have at similar issue, unfortunately no suggestions as to how to fix it.

Here's a short video of it in action: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/persistent-display-wake-issue-video.207717/

Did you find a solution by any chance?

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately I've had no replies apart from yours, and the issue still persists.

Have you checked the DMESG log to see if you have any corresponding entries? around the time it occurs?

How are you connected to your monitoring, using a single cable, or using dual signal (I know some of the widescreen models need dual inputs unless using DisplayPort). I'm wondering if its a driver issue with multi-monitor outputs being used.

I did encounter the same Problems as you guys did (2nd Monitor randomly disconnecting and connecting again after 2 secs) but somehow i got rid of this problem by chance. I haven't done anything apart from turning the Intel Graphics off. After i had done that, my monitor wasn't disconnecting anymore but on startup, the second Monitor shows a fuzzy image. When i reinitialize the Monitor in El Capitan again, it works as normal. THIS problem on the other hand occurs until now.
Apparently a bunch of people are affected by this issue. In my case, it happened randomly without me pulling any updates or turning of something. I hope we can find a solution soon.
Some specs:
GTX 970 (boots fine with Linux and Windows)
i5 4960k
Second Monitor connected via HDMI and Primary Monitor via DP
currently on Mac OS 10.11.6

Unfortunately I've had no replies apart from yours, and the issue still persists.

Have you checked the DMESG log to see if you have any corresponding entries? around the time it occurs?

How are you connected to your monitoring, using a single cable, or using dual signal (I know some of the widescreen models need dual inputs unless using DisplayPort). I'm wondering if its a driver issue with multi-monitor outputs being used.

Haven't checked DMESG but will as soon as i get the chance to do so.

I'm connected through DisplayPort 1.2. I have a similar theory. I read somewhere that some ultrawide monitors (including my 34UM95) actually outputs two signals and effectively "stitches" them together to create a seamless output. I can sort of confirm this, as i (sometimes when scrolling vertically - not often though) see a misalignment of the two outputs in the center. As if one side of the monitor cannot keep up with the other side when scrolling.

Finally got around to checking DMESG. Have exactly the same output as you.

Attachments

• DMESG.txt
    16.1 KB · Views: 826
Finally got around to checking DMESG. Have exactly the same output as you.
Mmm, I still haven't found a solution here or elsewhere yet, if I do I will make sure to come back and update this post.

I'm also using 2 DP ports and 1 DVI port on my Graphics card (DVI is going into a KVM switch I use), the DP go into a HDMI matrix so I can use my monitors with both my laptop and desktops.

I may start unplugging the DP monitors just to see if that does makes any difference, just to see if its possible to isolate to any specific port type (not that I have any alternate options)

Mmm, I still haven't found a solution here or elsewhere yet, if I do I will make sure to come back and update this post.

I'm also using 2 DP ports and 1 DVI port on my Graphics card (DVI is going into a KVM switch I use), the DP go into a HDMI matrix so I can use my monitors with both my laptop and desktops.

I may start unplugging the DP monitors just to see if that does makes any difference, just to see if its possible to isolate to any specific port type (not that I have any alternate options)

Finally got around to trying some other options, If I just use a single DVI port I have no screen issues, so it seems like an issue with using the DP in a multi-screen environment.

I have no issues in Windows, could it be it looses the EDID sync (whereas Windows is forgiving, the MacOS sees it as a removal of the device?)

Have you ever found a solution to this?
Started happen to me after installing AppleALC (No idea if that two are related)

Have you ever found a solution to this?
Started happen to me after installing AppleALC (No idea if that two are related)
Not really, it seems to be worst after first boot, and seems to settle down the longer the machine is powered on. I've just learnt to live with it to be honest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back