Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all, I have just upgraded my graphics card from an 8600gts which sadly died to a gtx 580, so i am trying to get the updated nvidia drivers to work but having no luck. I followed the instructions, installed the 10.6.5 update, installed easybeast with the latest multibeast and then installed the drivers but every time i boot after the splash has gone off i am just left with a black screen with a horizontal grey strip of a checkerboard like pattern on my main monitor(i have 2), but if i boot with -x (safe mode) it works fine at the correct resolution and across both screens :? does anyone have any ideas on what i can try to fix it?

Are you using the Fermi bootloader for GTX-580? see attached.

If you are unfamiliar with the process, just unhide all files, delete old /boot file and drag in the new one.

As long as you have updated the new fermi package and are running 10.6.5 with this boot file it should work.

Ref:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=214219

When you get it working I would really like to see the Cinebench score. I'd like to buy one as well, but I want performance confirmation first.

Enjoy

rabbit.

Attachments

• Fermi-boot-11-18-10boot.zip
    104.5 KB · Views: 160
bigbadbob2003 said:
Hi all, I have just upgraded my graphics card from an 8600gts which sadly died to a gtx 580, so i am trying to get the updated nvidia drivers to work but having no luck. I followed the instructions, installed the 10.6.5 update, installed easybeast with the latest multibeast and then installed the drivers but every time i boot after the splash has gone off i am just left with a black screen with a horizontal grey strip of a checkerboard like pattern on my main monitor(i have 2), but if i boot with -x (safe mode) it works fine at the correct resolution and across both screens :? does anyone have any ideas on what i can try to fix it?
Did you remember to install Chameleon RC5 latest?

rabbit74 said:
Are you using the Fermi bootloader for GTX-580? see attached.

If you are unfamiliar with the process, just unhide all files, delete old /boot file and drag in the new one.

As long as you have updated the new fermi package and are running 10.6.5 with this boot file it should work.

Ref:

When you get it working I would really like to see the Cinebench score. I'd like to buy one as well, but I want performance confirmation first.

Enjoy

rabbit.
You don't need that boot file as the latest Chameleon RC5 includes all of the 4xx and 580 device ID's.

Attachments

• AppleHDA_7603.kext.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
I hadn't selected the rc5, so I have tried again with that and it boots now but only displays in 1024x768 and won't let me change it, in profiler it displays as a generic nvidia gpu with 32mb vram, any ideas?

I have not yet seen anyone else try this card. So you are the pioneer. With a little patience I am sure it can be done.

Things that are needed:
The Fermi update
the booter

What method did you use to install the driver?

I would suggest re-installing the driver.

The Tonymacx86 method should work fine
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... -os-x.html

And this method involves the terminal but should also work fine.

I would try both.

rabbit.

What specific card, brand, model are you using?

bigbadbob2003 said:
I hadn't selected the rc5, so I have tried again with that and it boots now but only displays in 1024x768 and won't let me change it, in profiler it displays as a generic nvidia gpu with 32mb vram, any ideas?

If you're not using a DSDT, you'll also need to apply the PCIRootUID fix through MultiBeast as well as making sure to have GraphicsEnabler=Yes, Chameleon RC5, 10.6.5, and the tonymacx86 NVIDIA update.

Hi guys,

I originally did the Tonymacx86 method. The card is Palit brand GTX 580.

I had a quick attempt last night again with Multibeast, and tried it with all the options tonymacx86 said in his post but still no luck, boots up in 1024x768 with barely any info in profiler.

Ive not tried the second method rabbit posted yet, i will have a go when i get home from work.

interestingly if i didn't select rc5 and used nvenabler, it would crash with the garbled screen normally but display correctly in safe mode, and profiler has all the correct details for the card in the graphics section.

So the os can definately see the correct details in certain circumstances but from what i gather the nvenabler is a no go for the later cards?

The only difference between the 2 methods of installing is the boot file.

The Tonymac method should work fine. And as MacMan mentioned the RC5 boot in Multi-Beast should work as well. But the trouble is no one else has tested it yet because no one has this card, or if they do, they have not posted their results.

If it were me I would run the Tonymac install again, re-install RC5 and then replace the boot file i provided earlier. In theory it shouldn't make a difference but as I said, no one has tried it yet so we just don't know for sure what will work. CMF wrote the boot file I posted and it may have some differences from RC5. So give it a try.

After re running Tony's nvidia update please also run disk utility and repair permissions. Not necessary because the installer does this but why not cross our Ts and dot our Is, right.

As to your query about the NVEnabler.kext. It is an older solution. We are using chameleon and com.apple.boot.plist instead now days. It is a better solution and no work has been done on the enabler kext in quite a while.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

rabbit.

I tried all of the Fermi cards from 450 to 580. Once i install with any of them, i can interchange them with no problems, except for the 580. The system does not crash, but i get the black screen with a horizontal strip. I havent tried other methods since i don't have much time now, but i will report if i get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back