Nvidia GPU for FCPX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have problem with 10.3 3D text rendering on 980Ti
once background render is done, 3D text is gone :D
can any of you replicate this issue?

tested on 10.3 and 10.3.1
switching back to 10.2

i do not have background rendering enabled, thats why i bought expensive card :)
i did try putting "basic 3d" over video and manually rendered and it works fine. it works even when background rendered. and also when unrendered

fcpx 10.3.1, macOS 10.11.6

I also know if you have 2x280x's you get the most performance -- kind of how the circular Mac Pro works and FCPX is optimized for dual GPUs like the 280x.

Indeed. But fcpx needs both same cards. Did experiments with igpu enabled/disabled with the 280x and other test with 280x together with old 7950 and there was no difference. Time was the same as it was using only the 280x (screen connected to that card)

Nvidia by architecture is not so well made for such computational tasks as amd cards, there is nothing to do about it, its hardware. OpenCL results in luxmark 3.1 are not reflection of true perfomance sadly, cause that test was modified in 3.1 to use different methods, which helped nvidia card. Old luxmark 2.1 shows more precisely corellation with fcpx performance.

Last edited:
just a follow up from another thread for ppl with same question like you had at start of the thread. You cant mix nvidia and amd cards for fcpx

I have two graphics 750Ti and RX480,If I use two cards, the Fcpx crashes.If I don't install Web Driver,the RX480 works well.

Just adding another voice to the mix. I switched from a single 980ti to dual 7970's and everything about FCPX just feels smoother, more reliable and "better".

Highly anecdotal and non scientific, I know, but I use FCPX a lot and from my experiences, the older 7970's simply feel more "native and supported".

i do not have background rendering enabled, thats why i bought expensive card :)
i did try putting "basic 3d" over video and manually rendered and it works fine. it works even when background rendered. and also when unrendered

fcpx 10.3.1, macOS 10.11.6

Indeed. But fcpx needs both same cards. Did experiments with igpu enabled/disabled with the 280x and other test with 280x together with old 7950 and there was no difference. Time was the same as it was using only the 280x (screen connected to that card)

Nvidia by architecture is not so well made for such computational tasks as amd cards, there is nothing to do about it, its hardware. OpenCL results in luxmark 3.1 are not reflection of true perfomance sadly, cause that test was modified in 3.1 to use different methods, which helped nvidia card. Old luxmark 2.1 shows more precisely corellation with fcpx performance.

thanks for replying, I know when you disabled background rendering, 3D text will appear OK, try export it and will show no 3D text, if it does, I'm totally need your help

thanks for replying, I know when you disabled background rendering, 3D text will appear OK, try export it and will show no 3D text, if it does, I'm totally need your help

I did use basic 3d generator, changed the letters, exported a movie to prores hq (source) and it shows the text incl movement

Sadly i dont know how to help you. Other than the usual basic reinstall stuff. You can try disabling nvidia and run only on integrated intel gpu, if problem persists, its not nvidia gpu.

my system 10.11.6
fcpx 10.3.1
nvidia drivers 346.03.15f04

Just adding another voice to the mix. I switched from a single 980ti to dual 7970's and everything about FCPX just feels smoother, more reliable and "better".

Highly anecdotal and non scientific, I know, but I use FCPX a lot and from my experiences, the older 7970's simply feel more "native and supported".

what 7970(brand) did you bought?also those video cards work out of the box?i just bought a Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB but i dont know if this video card its working ok with FCX because a 3 hours project takes like 4 hours to import to IMG.

what 7970(brand) did you bought?also those video cards work out of the box?i just bought a Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB but i dont know if this video card its working ok with FCX because a 3 hours project takes like 4 hours to import to IMG.

whats your brucex time

Last edited:
Ran BruceX on a single EVGA 980Ti FTW edition, ~26 Seconds on 10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back