Contribute
Register

NVidia GeForce GTX 460 v2 and Lion - If anyone could help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there is a potential gotcha here; you might have a GTX 460 v2. What's the Device ID for the card you have? If 0x1205, you have a v2, and you have to do slightly different things t get it working.

Edit: In my case, I needed to edit the NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist file to hold my device ID (0x1205), _and_ add an EFI string to my boot plist as described here http://www.weezey.com/2011/09/os-x-lion-with-gtx-570-and-gtx-465-quad.html (Be sure to read to the bottom; there are some "whoops, that actually didn't quite work" edits). I did not install the ATY_init.kext, or do any of the hex-editing of GeForceGLDriver.kext, or change my system type.

Edit edit: You already know you have a v2. I am a doofus. Derp.

docfaraday said:
So, there is a potential gotcha here; you might have a GTX 460 v2. What's the Device ID for the card you have? If 0x1205, you have a v2, and you have to do slightly different things t get it working.

Edit: In my case, I needed to edit the NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist file to hold my device ID (0x1205), _and_ add an EFI string to my boot plist as described here http://www.weezey.com/2011/09/os-x-lion-with-gtx-570-and-gtx-465-quad.html (Be sure to read to the bottom; there are some "whoops, that actually didn't quite work" edits). I did not install the ATY_init.kext, or do any of the hex-editing of GeForceGLDriver.kext, or change my system type.

Very cool! Got my card to be recognized correctly in System Information and it seems to running with full acceleration. Even booted into OSX faster than ever before.

However, now my problem is that the card's fan seems to be spinning up to full and just staying that way. I think this is because my install isn't loading the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. My system definition is MacPro 3,1, which I know isn't in that kext. Any ideas to get it to load that properly?

chace90 said:
docfaraday said:

Very cool! Got my card to be recognized correctly in System Information and it seems to running with full acceleration. Even booted into OSX faster than ever before.

However, now my problem is that the card's fan seems to be spinning up to full and just staying that way. I think this is because my install isn't loading the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. My system definition is MacPro 3,1, which I know isn't in that kext. Any ideas to get it to load that properly?

I just copy/pasted one of the other MacPro entries, and changed the copy to use MacPro 3,1.

docfaraday said:
I just copy/pasted one of the other MacPro entries, and changed the copy to use MacPro 3,1.

I did try that but it still didn't load the kext. I think MacPro3,1 tells the system to ignore it instead of checking it each time for a compatible device and definition.

I ended up doing these steps to enable a definition that would load AGPM. viewtopic.php?p=290559#p290559

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back