2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi again,

I don't know if it's okay to post this here... but it's based on my original thread in the buyer's guide section.

So I managed to upgrade my CPU on my dual-boot from an Intel Core i3-3225 to i7-3770K and it worked fine for weeks.

Just a couple of days ago I upgraded my GPU to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC without doing proper research, just to find out there are currently no supported drivers around.

Well, it worked perfectly on Windows 10 Pro at least.

For whatever reason, I then decided to put back my old GPU instead of having the integrated GPU activated in Mac OS and there's where my trouble starts to begin...

After the installation the first boot into Mac OS ended in failure, screening a crossed-out circle icon. The second time I tried to deactivate my iGPU in BIOS, which didn't work as well. So I set bootflag nv_disable=1 and got a black screen. A BIOS reset by taking out the battery didn't work either. Since then I wasn't able to boot into BIOS or Clover again. I tried to reassamble my system, put out the RAM and put it back together again, installed the new and old GPU, peripherals etc. pp.

The system starts, shuts down and restarts again making all the sounds of a proper working computer; all the fans are spinning, the HDD & SSD seem to load, but all I get is a black screen. Also, tried to plug the HDMI monitor cable into different input / output variations on the mainboard / GPU, but still no success.

I'm now worried that I broke something, but I'm not able to find out if this is a hard- or software issue.

Any help is much appreciated as I'm currently working on my diploma graduation, and am afraid of loosing my data and work station.

Thanks a lot!

All the best,

Chii

[edit: this thread has been moved]

Last edited:
After another day-long research I've come to the conclusion: it's the PSU.

I found out there's this phenomenon people having the same symptomatics with defect power supplies.

I'm going to give it a try.

By the way: if I'll succeed recovering my beloved Hackintosh, what is the proper or most likely successful way to activate the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 for Mac OS only, without messing up my BIOS settings again... ?

P.S. Anyone using a dual-boot and dual-gpu solution for Pascal architecture incompatibility?

Last edited:
Okay, so it's not the PSU as well... it's still not working.

System loads, turns off and tries to boot again, fans are spinning, but I'm not getting into BIOS, simply having a black screen.

Please do post any suggestion, every help is much appreciated!

Okay, so it's not the PSU as well... it's still not working.

System loads, turns off and tries to boot again, fans are spinning, but I'm not getting into BIOS, simply having a black screen.

Please do post any suggestion, every help is much appreciated!

Have you done a CMOS reset?

I believe you already did but if not, backup or clone your drive before you start messing with your configuration trying to fix.
With windows, bad RAM and GPU usually causes no display so start from there.

A BIOS reset by taking out the battery didn't work either
Try to reinsert the battery after maybe a minute and make sure it did reset. Your BIOS should complain about your settings.

Thanks for the input.

I'll have the Mac OS drive disconnected until this issue is fixed.

Regarding the CMOS reset: I've tried to take out the battery a couple of times.

Read somewhere taking it out for several hours could help in some occasions...

Any other ideas? I'm getting a bit nervous and thinking of returning my new GPU plus PSU again.

My system ran safe and stable before I had everything updated.

Thanks for the input.

I'll have the Mac OS drive disconnected until this issue is fixed.

Regarding the CMOS reset: I've tried to take out the battery a couple of times.

Read somewhere taking it out for several hours could help in some occasions...

Any other ideas? I'm getting a bit nervous and thinking of returning my new GPU plus PSU again.

My system ran safe and stable before I had everything updated.

Many boards have a CMOS reset button on them somewhere. Mine is on the back I/O panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back