GeForce GT 430 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After many searches and much trouble to get QE and full acceleration on my GeForce 8400 GS, I came upon TonyMacs Nvidia update. It gave me full accelerration with QE/IC support and all this without any stupid kexts, or efi strings.
If you own one of these great and very cheap cards, do yourself a favor and install the nVidia update from Tonymac. you won't regret it. For those of you who want full support on their new Snow leopard install 10.6.5, buy yourself one of these cards on amazon for $30 and save yourself the headache.

THANK YOU TONYMAC!!!

Attachments

• From page.rtf
    3.5 KB · Views: 179
qbanxpress said:
After many searches and much trouble to get QE and full acceleration on my GeForce 8400 GS, I came upon TonyMacs Nvidia update. It gave me full accelerration with QE/IC support and all this without any stupid kexts, or efi strings.
If you own one of these great and very cheap cards, do yourself a favor and install the nVidia update from Tonymac. you won't regret it. For those of you who want full support on their new Snow leopard install 10.6.5, buy yourself one of these cards on amazon for $30 and save yourself the headache.

THANK YOU TONYMAC!!!
!!!THAT'S MY CARD TOO!!
Before your success using the update, what was wrong & what had you tried to fix it?
I have default resolution only and no QE/CI
Also with DVI I crash intermittently in Safari. VGA connection doesn't crash like that [yet?]

before I installed the NVIDIA Update package from tonymac i only was able to get the generic 1024x768. Safari/chrome would both crash for me after about ten seconds into browsing. Firefox was the only browser that didn't crash. However, after the Nvidia package all my browsers work flawlessly.

I had tried replacing all my graphics kexts and also the networking I/O kexts with the ones out there in other forums and from kexts.com but to no avail. I had also tried deleting them from the Xtra/extensions folder and leaving only the ones in the system extension folder and vice versa. none of that worked.

Install the Nvidia update and see what happens. If it fails just delete the kext from safe mode. [it won't fail you!]

Re: Nvidia 8400 GS This Post Is No Longer Valid

THIS POST IS NO LONGER VALID
I have tried installing the nVidia update. It did not fix my problem of no QE/CI.

What does your com.apple.Boot.plist look like. Maybe that will give us a clue to why you, not I have been successful. We do have different motherboards, different CPUs and likely different monitors. My monitor has both VGA & DVI connections. I have tried both ways.
Also do you know what you checked when you installed Multibeast?

Although I don't have QE/CI working, I have gotten the resolution to be different than default values. My monitor's "recommended resolution" is 1440x900. SL would not accept that value but it would accept something less.
I used <key> GraphicsMode</key>, <string> resolution value goes here</string>
in the com/apple.Boot.plist file to change from the default values.

I have tried ...plist both with NVEnabler & without it to no avail.

I am pretty frustrated myself, but I think I am missing something more obvious in my setup. In "About this Mac," my display reports being stuck at Type: GPU, Bus: PCIe, VRAM: 32MB, Vendor: Nvidia.

First off, my setup:
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L motherboard v1.4 (Bios F9)
Asus EN8400GS Silent with 512MB
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
1 TB Western Digital SATA II HDD

I have been only using TonyMac's iBoot v2.6.3 which seems to use Chameleon 2 RC5 r700. This boots no problem. I followed the Bios setup to the best of my knowledge. I can install the OS X 10.6.3 DVD, update it to 10.6.6, run Multibeast and get everything running, except the NVidia card and Sleep (although sleep is the least of my worries). The display is stuck on 1280x800 resolution with no other options.

From what I've read, I thought Chameleon 2 RC5 was able to natively find the video card, hence I think I must be doing something really dumb either in Bios or with the hardware (e.g. too much RAM, or too big a hard drive). I had had a Sparkle 8400GS with 1024MB, but after not finding it in the HCL, I thought this ASUS card would be safer. I am using HDMI, if that is relevant, but DVI has produced similar results with other monitors.

Any help or a kick in the pants would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I have tried the EFI Studio and TonyMac's Nvidia Update pkg, and neither of those improved anything.

We're discussing about the "newer" 8400GS here, there are too many spread topics about the same thing, join forces with us. :thumbup:

Thanks eMatoS, I'll see if I can find anything in the newer forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back