Graphics
Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys. I have successfully installed everything (net, sound, video, etc.) on an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe board with Intel Core i7 2600k and EVGA GTX 460.

The problem I'm having is that when I boot in 64-bit mode, I lose my full resolution. The only resolution I have available is 1024x768, whereas in 32-bit mode I can run at full 1920x1080 with full acceleration (tested animations and videos).

Can anyone throw around any ideas for why this is happening? When I boot into 64-bit mode, my /Extra/Extensions directory shows NVEnabler 64.kext instead of NVEnabler.kext which shows up in 32-bit mode, so I'm guessing that this is changing as it should to accomodate 64-bit mode, yet somehow I'm still missing the higher resolutions.

I even tried running the kext utility to repair permissions, then rebooted, and it's the same thing. I even tried re-running multibeast to install nvenabler, then re-running the driver update from tonymac to install the driver, then kext utility, then restart. Same thing.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I wouldn't mind 32-bit mode but I do have 8 GBs of ram which I want to use completely.

I am running Chameleon RC5 (the one that came with multibeast 3.1.0), with the AnVal 5.1.4 boot file. In my boot.plist, I have kernel flags set to: busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1, and GraphicsEnabler set to Yes.

I figured this out, more or less.

I had to remove NVEnabler.kext as I found out it was no longer necessary with the later chameleon versions (I'm running RC5). Then I had to remove some unnecessary kernel flags and only leave busratio=29.

I'm surprised. I'm now running at 1920x1080, video card fully recognized in system profiler, all 8 GBs of DDR3 1600 mhz recognized, running in 64bit.

next step is to add the rest of my sata drives and see if chameleon recognizes windows so I can dual boot.

Can you explain the purpose on AnVAL? Also, are you not getting Kernel Panics yet from the 460?

I honestly don't know the purpose of AnVal haha, I just read that for sandy bridge processors, running 64bit wasn't working with vanilla chameleon, but it was with AnVal. It /was/ working with vanilla chameleon but there were some issues with slow animations or something. AnVal supposedly fixed that, so I went straight to AnVal and everything is working fine so I can't complain.

I haven't used my mac installation for extensive periods yet. I did read that the KPs were as a result of the card trying to go to sleep, so I disabled sleep computer-wide in system preferences, I don't know (kind of doubt) that that will prevent the KPs but we'll see. Can you describe the KPs with 460s a bit more? When do they usually occur, etc.?

blaenk said:
I honestly don't know the purpose of AnVal haha, I just read that for sandy bridge processors, running 64bit wasn't working with vanilla chameleon, but it was with AnVal. It /was/ working with vanilla chameleon but there were some issues with slow animations or something. AnVal supposedly fixed that, so I went straight to AnVal and everything is working fine so I can't complain.

I haven't used my mac installation for extensive periods yet. I did read that the KPs were as a result of the card trying to go to sleep, so I disabled sleep computer-wide in system preferences, I don't know (kind of doubt) that that will prevent the KPs but we'll see. Can you describe the KPs with 460s a bit more? When do they usually occur, etc.?

KPs happen at random pretty much. You can read about it here

Yeah, I just had my first one while simply browsing with google chrome and firefox (was testing a simple page). Same as they say, black box on the top left of the screen with a white dot in the middle.

I wonder if there are any cards of equal or greater processing power which work really well without KPs.

Hi blaenk

I have a Gainward gtx 460.

Chimera 1.1
sl 10.6.7
Last tony nvidia driver
Installed osx with Andy bootcd

All working except the 460, that runs only in low resolution, even with arch i386

Please, please help me because I spent too much time...
Do you suggest something?
What can I try to change?

Thanks all

Have the same problem, on the first install of SL 10.6.7 it worked great on 1920x1080, now only at 1024x768...

tried to install every driver here, even new Cuda.

the cars is: MSI GTX460 HAWK.

Used: iBoot + MultiBeast, last tonys NV drivers...

Thanks

I solved the problem using the ROM file for my nvidia downloaded from the Internet, then use the "usenvidiarom" option for the boot loader

@Psyk - I have the MSI 460GTX Hawk too and after installing the Tonymac nvidia drivers - mac pro 10,3 or 10,5 it works a treat! No need for NVenabler running 10.6.7.

i find the 10,3 gives the best performance - and i use wallsaver to keep from KP's.. I'm not a sandy bridge though i'm wondering if thats an issue.

Also running CUDA 4.0.17 and GPU driver 256.02.05f01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back