Graphics
GTX650
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ever since I upgrade to Mountain Lion I've been getting exceptions that look like this:

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

sometimes along with this:
kernel[0]: NVDA(DMA): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

always ending up with this:
kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

The exceptions seem to vary each time but the result is always some graphical corruption followed by a complete freeze of the interface. The rest of the system continues to work normally and I can SSH in. This doesn't seem to be happening for any rhyme or reason. I can be starting a game, mid way through playing a game, or just using OSX when it happens.

I'm also getting these same errors with three video cards. A EVGA GTS250, Gigabyte GTX650 and a Gigabyte GTX650ti. The GTS250 was the worst of the bunch though. All three cards, when they are working, work fantastic. Temperature monitors indicate that everything is staying nice and cool.

Things I've tried:
- Using the 10.8.2 official drivers and stock drivers
- Using the new 10.8.2 2012 macs update drivers
- Setting up the card in AGPM and not
- MacPro3,1 and MacPro5,2 smbios
- Trying out a different DSDT for my motherboard

There is a thread at Insanelymac where people are experiencing the same issues and it seems to span a wide range of different nVidia cards and setups. Often these are with cards that others are reporting no problems with.

Thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...engl-channel-exceptions-freezes-9600gt285gtx/

I'm at my wits end here. Just not sure what else to try and why my system would be affected while others using the same video cards are having no trouble at all.

Just to add to my post above, here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
CPU: Core2Quad
Video: GTS250, GTX650 or GTX650ti
Running: 10.8.2, MacPro 3,1 smbios, and ALC8xxHDA.kext, AppleRTC_Patched_Lion.kext, and JMicronATA.kext in the Extras folder.

I am having the exact same problems since I upgraded to 10.8.2 a couple days ago.

:(

Just to add to my post above, here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
CPU: Core2Quad
Video: GTS250, GTX650 or GTX650ti
Running: 10.8.2, MacPro 3,1 smbios, and ALC8xxHDA.kext, AppleRTC_Patched_Lion.kext, and JMicronATA.kext in the Extras folder.

Hi,

I'm with you, have you any news ?

Has this error gone away in 10.8.3?

Edited:

I am getting a freeze after wake from sleep with that message in system.log.

I am trying different smbios profiles to see if that can help for Laptop G74SX with a GTX 560M 3GB mobile graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back