Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkpad T480
CPU
i7-8550u
Graphics
UHD620
First off let me say sorry if this has been answered before, I searched but couldn't find a complete answer.

Let's say I wanted to have a skylake laptop run at stock speed (no turboboost, no speedster/speed shift, etc) with no power management. Is this possible using nullcpupowermanagement.kext? I want to do this to avoid the latency problems that power management/CPU throttling can cause with music production software. Disabling all power mannagement and CPU throttling is a common recommended practice for music production software in PC land (on desktops and laptops) but since real macs don't give you this option, it isn't discussed for mac software. I'm wondering if a hackintosh would allow you to do this.
I had a dell e5470 laptop hack running and installed nullcpupowermanagemrnt then checked clock speeds with intel power gadget but CPU speeds were still fluctatuting. I had an intel i7 6820hq in there so it should've stayed steady at 2.7ghz. I did not have HWP enabled in clover or a generated SSDT installed.
Thanks.

First off let me say sorry if this has been answered before, I searched but couldn't find a complete answer.

Let's say I wanted to have a skylake laptop run at stock speed (no turboboost, no speedster/speed shift, etc) with no power management. Is this possible using nullcpupowermanagement.kext? I want to do this to avoid the latency problems that power management/CPU throttling can cause with music production software. Disabling all power mannagement and CPU throttling is a common recommended practice for music production software in PC land (on desktops and laptops) but since real macs don't give you this option, it isn't discussed for mac software. I'm wondering if a hackintosh would allow you to do this.
I had a dell e5470 laptop hack running and installed nullcpupowermanagemrnt then checked clock speeds with intel power gadget but CPU speeds were still fluctatuting. I had an intel i7 6820hq in there so it should've stayed steady at 2.7ghz. I did not have HWP enabled in clover or a generated SSDT installed.
Thanks.

Since power management is implemented in the kernel (XCPM), you would need to disable it in the kernel (eg. build a kernel without XCPM). Then you could use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext most likely paired with a Sandy Bridge SMBIOS...

Since power management is implemented in the kernel (XCPM), you would need to disable it in the kernel (eg. build a kernel without XCPM). Then you could use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext most likely paired with a Sandy Bridge SMBIOS...

Would your guide for patching XCPM in the kernel work for him in this case? It goes back to Yosemite, but if he doesn't mind downgrading...

Ref: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...he-kernel-for-haswell-cpus-xcpm-early-reboot/

Ideally I'd like to use Sierra but could do Yosemite if necessary. I checked the guide and didn't see anything about xcpm...

Would your guide for patching XCPM in the kernel work for him in this case? It goes back to Yosemite, but if he doesn't mind downgrading...

Ref: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...he-kernel-for-haswell-cpus-xcpm-early-reboot/

You would need do build a kernel without XCPM... or ...
You might be able to get away with using FakeCPUID to fake the CPU as Ivy Bridge.

Ideally I'd like to use Sierra but could do Yosemite if necessary. I checked the guide and didn't see anything about xcpm...

If I remember correctly, XCPM was introduced in 10.9.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back