Contribute
Register

NUC7i5 build fails after several days of correct operation ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC7i5BNB
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Iris Plus 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last fall (~Aug 2018), I built a Hackintosh with an Intel NUC7i5 (500GB Samsung SSD, 2TB HDD, 16GB RAM, Ethernet networking, no display, no keyboard). It was my first excursion into this technology .. I've been a Mac user (and programmer) for ever, but am not familiar with the really low-level BIOS and driver aspects of Macs. I was pleasantly surprised how little trouble I has getting it running.

It's now running macOS 10.14.3 (having been upgraded from 10.14.0) quite well but only for a limited time .. fairly consistently, after about a week it, needs to be force-rebooted. Being headless and accessed, when necessary, by screen-sharing, it doesn't actively report trouble .. that is, I only notice it's gone when screen-sharing drops out of the Bonjour services (file sharing and ssh services also disappear). After it has failed, when I plug in a display (HDMI) and keyboard (old Mac USB keyboard and mouse), the screen is black and there's no keyboard/mouse response (so it's not sleeping).

I'd like to figure out what is causing this but don't know where to start. There are no crash or kernel panic reports created. I'm getting ready to scrub the boot disk and repeat the software build/install from scratch (partly because I know better what I'm doing now, and partly so I take better notes), but wonder if there's any way to diagnose the current trouble before I do that?

I apologize if I've missed a diagnostic procedure already present available on tonymacx86 .. I did look but this excellent site has a lot of information and I may have missed it. Thanks for any assistance.

I suspect I've found the reason for yesterday's "failure" .. my fault, of course. I'd accidentally left the system software preference panel doing automatic updates and it installed the "macOS 10.14.3 Supplemental Update" without my attention. Since macOS updates require, at least, a double boot, I suspect it didn't complete the process till I manually rebooted the NUC. This begs a second question, can the Clover EFI config be written to cope with the double boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back