Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I do not see any thread talking about this in mavericks section. So here we go.

I will be dualbooting with windows 7. So I have some drives with NTFS partition. I must have NTFS write.

After doing some googling, I found the suggested fix on mavericks to be not a real solution. (eg, http://learnaholic.me/2013/11/11/enable-ntfs-write-on-mac-os-x-mavericks/)

First, the suggested solution:
- open terminal and create /etc/fstab file
- in fstab, add "LABEL=diskabubin none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse"
- then reboot
- might need to use disk utility to remount that specified diskabubin.
- the mounted disk will now show in finder. You will need to manually go to /Volumes/diskabubin OR use "ln -s /Volumes ~/Desktop/Volumes" command in terminal to link the folder into your desktop as suggested by some tutorials.

Now, this will work but it's not perfect.

The reason is because somehow the fstab method is no longer an official thing for mavericks. Because this file is not being used by mavericks by default.

When I tried to mount fstab manually, I get all sort of errors. Something about failure to mount "/Users/volumes/none" or something. But the keyword is "none". Notice the "none" in the fstab command added? In linux, this "none" is actually a parameter to specify the destination folder to mount diskabubin. The error is produced when I try to mount using command line is because os x try to mount the folder into user's default folder and it need to end with none. In my case my "users" folder which does not contain a folder called none. Hence the error. If I create the none folder, the mount would still not work.

After trying and trying, I tried rebooting. And rebooting seems to get the NTFS mounted with write.

However, I do see the same error about the failure to mount none during a verbose boot. So in some way the error still exist.

Now the question is, is there a way to actually mount NTFS with write permission properly without the "none" error still popping out?

I recommend you buying a little software from paragon allowing full NTFS support under mavericks, even partitions bigger than 2Tb. It's supper cheap and support is great.

I also have to manage different FS, and for NTFS this is perfect.

I use Tuxera NTFS in my computer, and it works flawlessly!
Definitely recommend this software.

hmm..I am sure we could get something working here...just like how a lot of other problems are solved using kexts and whatnot.

Appreciate more input from experts on macx86.
There is a hack to enable NTFS writes in OS X but it's not recommended to enable as it's unsupported and has been known to corrupt the NTFS volume.

I would second the recommendation for paragon software. I use it with OS X and Windows and it works great. If I am in Windows I have full access to my OS X drives and visa versa.

There is a hack to enable NTFS writes in OS X but it's not recommended to enable as it's unsupported and has been known to corrupt the NTFS volume.

Yes, I have been testing this method for a few days now. I have to say it is true. It corrupts the NTFS partition. No so bad that I loose data but the NTFS partition becomes unmountable. And that need to be fixed only by booting up into windows. That is too much work.

So conclusion is to use third party software.

OR

Change to using exFAT if want to share files between OS X and Windows. ExFAT also have slight problem in Windows. Also have it's own set of problems but much better than NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back