Contribute
Register

Nothing works after fixing BOOT (Lenovo W510)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo W510 4319RU
CPU
i7
Graphics
FX 880M, 1972X1080
I installed Mavericks on my Lenovo W510 notebook from the USB drive.
Had to use the GraphicsEnabler flag but otherwise, clean easy install.
After the initial installer finished and I rebooted for the first time using the USB drive, most everything is working right out of the box.

However, after using MultiBeast to do the basic DSDT install and make my new install bootable, many many things do not work.

For example; after the intial install KB, track pad, BT, WIFI, Wired Ethernet, web cam, USB3 ports all work.
After trying the Easy DSDT install from MultiBeast, none of that stuff works.

I also tried the No DSDT option and that did the same thing.

What am I missing? Why does stuff work before and not after?

I installed Mavericks on my Lenovo W510 notebook from the USB drive.
Had to use the GraphicsEnabler flag but otherwise, clean easy install.
After the initial installer finished and I rebooted for the first time using the USB drive, most everything is working right out of the box.

However, after using MultiBeast to do the basic DSDT install and make my new install bootable, many many things do not work.

For example; after the intial install KB, track pad, BT, WIFI, Wired Ethernet, web cam, USB3 ports all work.

I also tried the No DSDT option and that did the same thing.

What am I missing? Why does stuff work before and not after?

Not a desktop -- moved to laptop section.

Your experience is par for the course with a laptop install.

Please provide complete details in your profile.

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

My apologies for posting in the wrong sub-forum.
TNX for the move.

Specs are as follows (will add to profile as well):
Lenovo W510 model 43195RU
CPU: Corei7/2.67GHz/M620
Chipset: Intel ID0044 Southbridge ID3B07
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M, 1972X1080

I have this same laptop working 99% in SL, just seeing if I can get Mavericks there as well.
This was a clean install (new HD), not an upgrade install.

I take it you mean various devices work when you're booting from Unibeast, but not when booting from your HDD. If so, it is that way because of the drivers installed on the Unibeast USB.

In order to have the same device support, you must install drivers as appropriate for your hardware.

I take it you mean various devices work when you're booting from Unibeast, but not when booting from your HDD. If so, it is that way because of the drivers installed on the Unibeast USB.
Yes, I use the Unibeast USB to boot and do the install.
Reboot from the Unibeast USB, at the Chimera screen select my HD and the install boots with everything working. From there if I install Multibeast most things do not work.

I understand about needing to load specific drivers.

But at the Chimera screen, we are way early in the process so I'm not getting how there would be a driver difference at that point.
I'm basically using Multibeast as a helper drive.

Yes, I use the Unibeast USB to boot and do the install.
Reboot from the Unibeast USB, at the Chimera screen select my HD and the install boots with everything working. From there if I install Multibeast most things do not work.

I understand about needing to load specific drivers.

But at the Chimera screen, we are way early in the process so I'm not getting how there would be a driver difference at that point.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'at the Chimera screen'. What is not working properly there?

I'm basically using Multibeast as a helper drive.

Not sure what you mean by that. Multibeast is a program for post installation. It is not a 'drive' ??

I'm not sure what you mean by 'at the Chimera screen'.
I mean the very first screen that comes up with the different OS choices. For me, I see the option to boot from "OSX Mavericks" which is my HD or "USB BOOT" which is the Unibeast USB Install drive.

Multibeast is a program for post installation. It is not a 'drive' ??
Sorry, that was a typo, I meant I am basically using Unibeast as a helper drive.

Let me try to explain again,
If I leave the install on the HD alone most everything works. I just have to use a helper drive to get it to boot.
If I try to enable direct boot from the HD it will boot but most peripherals will not boot.

I'm wondering what gets changed in the driver setup by me just installing the basic boot options?
Can I just use the generic drivers (that seem to work) and enable direct boot from the HD?

I mean the very first screen that comes up with the different OS choices. For me, I see the option to boot from "OSX Mavericks" which is my HD or "USB BOOT" which is the Unibeast USB Install drive.

Why is that an issue? That is normal behavior.

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant I am basically using Unibeast as a helper drive.

Let me try to explain again,
If I leave the install on the HD alone most everything works. I just have to use a helper drive to get it to boot.
If I try to enable direct boot from the HD it will boot but most peripherals will not boot.

I'm wondering what gets changed in the driver setup by me just installing the basic boot options?
Can I just use the generic drivers (that seem to work) and enable direct boot from the HD?

When you are booting from the USB all the kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the USB are being loaded. When you boot using the bootloader installed to your HDD, none of those will be loaded.

If you want specific devices to work while booting without the USB, you must install the drivers to support those devices.

Thanks for the explanation RehabMan.

I didn't realize that when using the USB drive to boot the HD install it was actually using the kexts from the USB. That all makes sense now.

I have this issue fixed.

Now, on to getting the other tiny things fixed.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back