i7-980
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just a heads up I spend a couple hours trying to get this card to work with Mountain Lion and could net get it to work. I ended up going back to a GeForce 9800 GT card and that work perfectly fine without a problem. Could not get the 6870 to work, tried removing the ATI6000 Kext, tried GraphicsEnabler=NO, and I tried the different boot flag combinations with no luck. This card used to work Perfectly fine in OSX Lion without a single issue.

UPDATE: I finally figured it out. I had to reinstall ATI6000Controler.kext using KextBeast even though I had never removed it from my Installation and When I fist got into Mountain Lion I check the system directory under Extensions and the File was there along with all the others so. Basically just reinstall it no matter what if you have a 6xxx series.

Yes I did. And I followed the steps on that guide to remove the Kext file from the USB Installation but I couldn't even get into the installer, even with GraphicsEnabler=NO I would get that gray screen that says please restart your computer. So to install ML I used my 9800 GT Card and when I saw that the ATI6000 kext file was already on the computer I switched to the 6870 card and tried to get into ML but I would be stuck at the apple screen with the pinwheel loading and would just stay there. Finally I decided to reinstall the ATI6000 kext file for the heck of it and That finally worked after a KextBeast Install and Restart.

Yes I did. ... .... Finally I decided to reinstall the ATI6000 kext file for the heck of it and That finally worked after a KextBeast Install and Restart.

Congratulations! FWIW, I had the same issue with the same video. Persistence is its own reward.

Still can't get to my ML install screen... I have an XFX Radeon HD 6870 1 GB video card. Tried the methods in the posts in this thread, as well as the 6xxx fix thread. Nothing works yet.

Anyone with my card have success?

The final solution!

In 10.8.2 everything works perfectly, except installation. If you have integrated GPU, then use it while you install the ML. In bios, just set IGPU to primary and set memory to 64MB (don't forget to plug your monitor to the right dock).

Now you can install OSX smoothly. Do those steps you should do to make your Mt. Lion ready.

After you've done everything (at least the second normal boot of your system), go to BIOS and set your GPU to auto again.

If you haven't done it before, add GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag to your boot file. Now you should see your Graphics correctly in system profiler. It should use Duckweed by itself! No need to pciroot or any other graphic patch in boot file!

If you don't have integrated GPU, try maybe use a working ati6000.kext from someones system. Maybe it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back