CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Right now I am stable on HS 10.13.5 however I am running an older version of Clover (not sure which version) and I am a little wary of upgrading clover in case my system becomes unbootable. Do I need to be careful upgrading clover or just 'do it'?

Right now I am stable on HS 10.13.5 however I am running an older version of Clover (not sure which version) and I am a little wary of upgrading clover in case my system becomes unbootable. Do I need to be careful upgrading clover or just 'do it'?

You can always perform a full disk backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, so that if anything goes wrong you can boot from that and restore. Definitely double check which EFI plugins you are loading, as a lot has changed with Clover in the last 6-8 months; definitely make sure you are using at least ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi (and not apfs.efi copied from the OS files), AptioMemoryFix-64.efi (and not the older osxaptiofix3drv-64.efi or similar), DataHubDxe-64.efi, PartitionDxe-64.efi, and SMCHelper-64.efi. Also, currently it is recommended to use RehabMan's fork of Clover available here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/clover as the mainline version has a rather serious bug regarding SSDT merging.

I am actually still using OsxAptioFix3Drv064.efi and my system is working and stable. I have apfs.efi, DatahubDxe-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi and that is all from your list. If I just proceed with the clover upgrade, will have I have to choose special options to make sure I don't lose what I have now?

I am actually still using OsxAptioFix3Drv064.efi and my system is working and stable. I have apfs.efi, DatahubDxe-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi and that is all from your list. If I just proceed with the clover upgrade, will have I have to choose special options to make sure I don't lose what I have now?

You will want to get rid of that. It is outdated. Use AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead. Also, delete apfs.efi, because that is copied from High Sierra, will be out of date, and it's not a good idea to load APFS support that way anyway anymore. The default Clover install options will include these, along with PartitionDxe-64.efi, but ensure that they are all checked just to be safe. The 'new' method for APFS support, via AptioMemoryFix-64, ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and so on does it like real Macs do, by providing the ability to load the APFS driver directly from the OS files freshly each time.

Where do you suggest I get these files from?

Right, that was a silly question o_O

Thanks

Well that was fun. Upgraded clover, booted up, it only saw one drive to boot into ( I have 7 drives in my system, three have OSX on them) and it didn't work. Fortunately I had a trusty Mojave USB installer, booted up with that, hey it see's everything, yay. Copied the EFI folder from the USB installed to replace my EFI, then copied over my backup Config.plist and presto I am back in business. In other news I tried upgrading one of my drives to Mojave and got the dreaded screen saying it couldn't install. Any ideas why this is happening? It wasn't to an NVME although I have one in my system but to a regular SSD. The system I am trying to install Mojave to is labeled 'new build' in my signature.

by providing the ability to load the APFS driver directly from the OS files freshly each time.

In theory it should but in my setup ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi is unable to locate the driver so I still have to copy it to EFI myself. So worth testing that alone before upgrading many other things at the same time.

In theory it should but in my setup ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi is unable to locate the driver so I still have to copy it to EFI myself. So worth testing that alone before upgrading many other things at the same time.

Note that ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi needs several other EFI drivers loaded to function. AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, (and not the older osxaptiofix3drv-64.efi or similar), DataHubDxe-64.efi, and PartitionDxe-64 must also be loaded properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back