Contribute
Register

NootRX

From the neighbor, they said I need to compile the NootRX with SSDT-DGPU.aml.
But this is too advance for me of how to do it.

Attachments

• NootRX-1.0.0-RELEASE.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • SSDT-DGPU.aml.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 13
None of those errors show up anymore as far as I can tell but still getting stuck at the same spot. Interesting.
The same messages are showing, just not as clearly or as many times.
  1. Which NVMe drive are you using as the macOS boot drive?
  2. How many other drives are present in your setup?
You would be best served removing or disconnecting all the drives, except the macOS drive while you troubleshoot this issue.
  • You don't want or need to remove AppleALC.kext, as that is required for your Realtek Audio to work in macOS.
  • You do need to remove AppleALCU.kext, as that is only required for USB based audio. Your X299 board doesn't contain a USB audio codec.

Which Ethernet controller(s) are present in your system?
You have 4 x Ethernet kexts in your OC setup.
  • AppleIGB.kext
  • IntelMausi.kext
  • IntelSnowMausi.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
I know for a fact you don't require IntelSnowMausi.kext, as you are running macOS Monterey.

From looking through the two EFI folders you provided I assume you are using OpenCore 0.9.4 (7th August 2023).
  1. You have a ResetNvramEntry.efi DRIVER from OC 0.9.6 (25th November 2023) in the TOOLS folder of the second EFI folder.
  2. I can see that this is the EFI you are using when trying to get NootRX.kext working with your RX 6700 XT.
  3. Not only is the DRIVER in the wrong folder, but it is always a very bad idea mixing drivers or tools from one OC release with another.

Your USB configuration is pants, I mean really pants!
  1. The two kexts in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder - UTBDefault.kext and USBToolBox.kext are doing nothing.
  2. You would be better served enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in your config.plist than rely on these two useless kexts.
Good of you to post a copy of your EFI's config.plist with your Serial Number readable, NOT!
  1. You would be advised to generate a new SMBIOS for your system, as your current one is now compromised.
  2. Sign out of any Apple Services you use and use the new SMBIOS data to boot your system.
  3. Then and only then should you sign back in to your Apple services, Messages, App Store, iCloud etc.
You need to sort your EFI folder out before you try booting with the RX 6700 XT.

The same messages are showing, just not as clearly or as many times.
  1. Which NVMe drive are you using as the macOS boot drive?
  2. How many other drives are present in your setup?
You would be best served removing or disconnecting all the drives, except the macOS drive while you troubleshoot this issue.
  • You don't want or need to remove AppleALC.kext, as that is required for your Realtek Audio to work in macOS.
  • You do need to remove AppleALCU.kext, as that is only required for USB based audio. Your X299 board doesn't contain a USB audio codec.

Which Ethernet controller(s) are present in your system?
You have 4 x Ethernet kexts in your OC setup.
  • AppleIGB.kext
  • IntelMausi.kext
  • IntelSnowMausi.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
I know for a fact you don't require IntelSnowMausi.kext, as you are running macOS Monterey.

From looking through the two EFI folders you provided I assume you are using OpenCore 0.9.4 (7th August 2023).
  1. You have a ResetNvramEntry.efi DRIVER from OC 0.9.6 (25th November 2023) in the TOOLS folder of the second EFI folder.
  2. I can see that this is the EFI you are using when trying to get NootRX.kext working with your RX 6700 XT.
  3. Not only is the DRIVER in the wrong folder, but it is always a very bad idea mixing drivers or tools from one OC release with another.

Your USB configuration is pants, I mean really pants!
  1. The two kexts in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder - UTBDefault.kext and USBToolBox.kext are doing nothing.
  2. You would be better served enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in your config.plist than rely on these two useless kexts.
Good of you to post a copy of your EFI's config.plist with your Serial Number readable, NOT!
  1. You would be advised to generate a new SMBIOS for your system, as your current one is now compromised.
  2. Sign out of any Apple Services you use and use the new SMBIOS data to boot your system.
  3. Then and only then should you sign back in to your Apple services, Messages, App Store, iCloud etc.
You need to sort your EFI folder out before you try booting with the RX 6700 XT.
Jesus…especially @ serial number being readable. Appreciate this homie. Will jump back into it later today.

Thank you so much, guys!
Finally, I've also upgraded the video card to Rx 6700 XT successfully.

I did the same way as @Edhawk!

Attachments

• Simon Mac.png
    Simon Mac.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
I have a 6900XT. With WhateverGreen I usually have a score (geekbenck 6) of 118/119K with OpenGL and 217/218K in Metal. I tried NootRx (same dGPU, 6900XT) and the scores go up to 122/123K in OpenGL and 224 in Metal. At the moment the system is stable also with NootRx and I have HW acceleration in both H264 and HEVC in 4K.
I would be tempted to try mounting a 6750 XT... even if not natively supported...
If NootRX works well and the system is stable (as seems) the 6750xt could be interesting in terms of quality/price ratio.

Compared to the Vega 64 with the 6900XT I have a third of the export time with FCP in 4K.
To understand: export of a 1h video in 4k, with Vega 64 take about 1h, with 6900XT about 20/25min.
I'd be curious to try what happens with an RX 6750 XT...
Has anyone tried it?

Myself and a few others here use an RX 6700 XT in our hacks. The RX 6700 XT works perfectly well with NootRX.kext.

I have not seen anyone test NootRX.kext with an RX 6750 XT, but see no reason why it wouldn't work. As it uses the same Navi 22 chip as the RX 6700 XT.

The OpenCL scores with the RX 6700 XT are not good, sub 30K.
The metal scores can be anywhere between 147K & 165K, depending on the version of NootRX.kext and what else you have option when running the test.

Here is a screenshot of the GeekBench 6 Compute scores I have collected using the RX 6700 XT plus a few other AMD cards.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 18.28.16.png GeekBench 6 Compute scores.

Messa Try your EFI again I put the older NootRX.kext in kernel/kexts don't forget to clear nvram..
I don't know what you have change - but with your efi it works - I can boot and also the right GPU is detected.
Now I will test the system and keep for now the new EFI on the USB for boting.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-14 um 20.24.18.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-14 um 20.24.18.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I don't know what you have change - but with your efi it works - I can boot and also the right GPU is detected.
Now I will test the system and keep for now the new EFI on the USB for boting.
In your BIOS does it give the option to set VRAM to 32GB?. You have 64GB RAM installed, I wondered if 32 was available.

@craighazan I think you may have posted this thinking it is for an AMD APU, using NootedRed.kext. It isn't.

Messa is using a discrete AMD GPU, so there won't be any options like there are on an AMD system to increase the VRAM in the Bios for his Intel IGPU.

Back