Contribute
Register

NootRX

This is to verify that the RX6700 XT (PowerColor Fighter 12GB) card works in macOS Ventura 13.6.
  1. First thing I did was create a copy of my current OC EFI folder on a USB pen drive.
  2. I removed WhateverGreen.kext from the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  3. I added NootRX.kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  4. Opened the config.plist in ProperTree, used the OC Clean Snapshot feature to update the config.plist with the changed kexts.
  5. As the card I replaced was a RX 5700 XT, which is a Navi 10 card, the config.plist already contained the agdpmod=pikera boot argument.
    1. If you are updating from an older card Polaris or Vega series you would need to add this boot argument to your config.plist, otherwise you could end up with a black screen issue.
  6. Saved the config.plist.
  7. Rebooted the system from the USB pen drive,
    1. Used the ResetNvramEntry from the OC boot screen, to clear any old NVRAM entries.
    2. Entered the bios after the automatic reboot to reset my boot disk priority, so my Windows 11 drive wasn't set as first boot drive.
  8. Booted from the USB pen drive and this time selected the macOS icon on the OC boot screen.
  9. System booted as normal to the first Apple progress bar, then the dual screens went black until the macOS Login screen appeared on both displays. So no sign of the second stage Apple progress bar, no big loss!
  10. Signed in and everything seems normal, full 12GB VRAM accessible, acceleration, transparency in the dock etc.
Just to confirm that I swapped out a PowerColor RX 5700 XT 8GB card and replaced it with a PowerColor RX 6700 XT 12GB card, in my ASUS TUF Gaming B550 WiFi II / Ryzen 5 5600G system. Straight swap no messing.

Below are a few screenshots showing the About this Mac, System Settings > About and System Information > Graphics/Displays with the new RX 6700 XT card installed.

View attachment 572803 About this Mac, transparency from the Desktop.

View attachment 572804 System Settings > About tab.

View attachment 572805 System Information > Graphics/Displays report.

Obviously some further testing will be required, but as it stands I think this is a great boost the RootRX developers have given the Hackintosh community.

Here are some screenshots from Hackintool, showing the RX 6700 XT card properties.

View attachment 572810 Hackintool General > System tab

View attachment 572808 Hackintool General > Peripherals tab

View attachment 572809 Hackintool PCIe tab, with RX 6700 XT highlighted.

I'd like to give this a shot with my 6900 XTXH. I don't see the kext on the Github page? Do I download the files and then have to compile it? Or is it a situation where if I have to ask how to do it, I probably shouldn't do it and wait until it gets officially released?

Is this kext avoid the need of spoofing the id of RX 6650 XT and 6950XT ?
It can do that as well, yes, but more features coming soon for native cards as well.

I'd like to give this a shot with my 6900 XTXH. I don't see the kext on the Github page? Do I download the files and then have to compile it? Or is it a situation where if I have to ask how to do it, I probably shouldn't do it and wait until it gets officially released?
GitHub Actions.

GitHub Actions.

I’m not really a Github Ninja and I don’t really see how to download. I’ve found some posts with Artifacts, but I can’t find how to download the file….

I’m not really a Github Ninja and I don’t really see how to download. I’ve found some posts with Artifacts, but I can’t find how to download the file….
You might need to create an account and sign in.

You might need to create an account and sign in.

That was it! I was logged out of my account for some reason

I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks all!

That was it! I was logged out of my account for some reason

I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks all!
I ended up building the kext with Xcode. Make sure you have debug lilu.kext inside NootRX folder. Also replace empty MacKernelSDK folder with the one downloaded from Acidanthera. Then just run NootRX.xcodeproj in Xcode.
From terminal:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/ChefKissInc/NootRX.git
cd NootRX
rm -rf MacKernelSDK
git clone https://github.com/acidanthera/MacKernelSDK
curl -OL https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases/download/1.6.7/Lilu-1.6.7-DEBUG.zip
unzip -q Lilu-1.6.7-DEBUG.zip
rm -rf Lilu-1.6.7-DEBUG.zip
open -a Xcode NootRX.xcodeproj

Attachments

• NootRX.kext.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
Last edited:
@ExtremeXT Hi. A couple members of the Hackintosh community have pointed out that there isn't an official support list for AMD APUs and NootedRed and now NootRX. Can I do it?. I know the first, 4600G, 4700G, I'm sure I helped someone with a 4750G, or U or was it a H. Edhawk has the 5600G, 5700G and 6700XT. I guess Noots list is longer than mine!.

@ExtremeXT Hi. A couple members of the Hackintosh community have pointed out that there isn't an official support list for AMD APUs and NootedRed and now NootRX. Can I do it?. I know the first, 4600G, 4700G, I'm sure I helped someone with a 4750G, or U or was it a H. Edhawk has the 5600G, 5700G and 6700XT. I guess Noots list is longer than mine!.
Any APU based on the Raven/Renoir ASICs, why do we need a list?

Back