HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I'm considering a Sandy Bridge and wondering about happens on a very general level when a new version of OSX comes out, like Lion this summer. Would upgrading require waiting for a vanilla kernel of the new OS followed by a complete OS reinstall?

Thanks for your reply, Gordo. Does this mean purchase OSX Lion retail upgrade disk, pop it in, upgrade and voila? Thanks.

I'd wait until it's proofed by the moderators and experts. Don't rush to failure.

Stork said:
I'd wait until it's proofed by the moderators and experts. Don't rush to failure.

I'm just wonder in general what the upgrade path is like. I'm basically concerned about having to do fresh install if I ever want to upgrade to Lion.

For every new version of Mac OS X, I had to do a new install. But, the new install recognized the previous version and saved files, etc. But, those were on Macs.

Again, wait a while after Lion comes out and watch what others learn. That's the low risk approach. It's what I always have done.

In the meantime, enjoy your Hackintosh. Worry about your ISP caps. :eek:

Stork said:
For every new version of Mac OS X, I had to do a new install. But, the new install recognized the previous version and saved files, etc. But, those were on Macs.

Again, wait a while after Lion comes out and watch what others learn. That's the low risk approach. It's what I always have done.

In the meantime, enjoy your Hackintosh. Worry about your ISP caps. :eek:

I agree, the safest route at the moment is to go with vanilla 10.6.7 (10.7.3 kernel). Lion may be the next latest and greatest, but it really won't effect much in terms of how you use the Mac.

I have a separate SSD waiting for Lion/testing installation, keeping this one 1005 stable. Just a thought :¬)

I'll say this... and leave it at that.

I think the new hardware/software combos on the horizon will make our lives more fun with less headaches for the average joe.

mwparrish said:
I'll say this... and leave it at that.

I think the new hardware/software combos on the horizon will make our lives more fun with less headaches for the average joe.
+1 MWParrish. I can't wait for what's going to happen one to two years out. We live in exciting (technological) times.

Some people might not even like Lion for the desktop, as it has the iOS feel in it.
I can be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back