Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Geforce 750M
Hi guys,

I want to build a machine to use Photoshop, Lightroom and After Effects mainly. I've read around that the most important things were the CPU and the RAM and that the graphic card were not so important (relatively speaking of course).

So, based on this, the buyer's guide and different heads I read on this forum, here is the machine I am planning to buy:
- CPU: Intel Skylake Processeur Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz 8Mo Cache Socket 1151
- CPU Cooler: Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro Series H60 2013 120mm Haute performance CPU Watercooler
- RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 64GB Kit (16GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin Memory
- Graphic card: EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Active 7010 MHz
- Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 80+ GOLD, 550W Continuous Power, ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 5 Year Warranty Power Supply 220-GS-0550-V1
- SSD: Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI MZHPV512HDGL-00000 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD - OEM
- WiFi: TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter, 2.4Ghz 450Mbps + 5Ghz 1300Mbps, 3T3R MIMO
- Bluetooth: GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle, Ultra-Mini USB Broadcom BCM20702 Class 2 Bluetooth V4.0 Dual Mode Dongle Wireless Adapter with LED

One item is missing: the motherboard. I don't know which one to get in order to use this CPU, the M.2 SSD, 4 slots for the RAM, and enough PCI-E slots for the cards.
And a second item is missing of course: the case. Which one to get to get all this inside? And how many/which fans should I get with it?
Last question: is this GPU the right choice for my use in your opinion? I have some doubts I admit…

Thx a lot in advance for you advice.

Last edited:
Since you're going AIO the case may be very important. I won't do H2O (Swiftech is tempting, though) because I got the advice that cheap AIO units tended to go bad quick. Make sure that there is at least 1" of space above the mobo for water cooling. You can usually tell easily by the case having vent holes in the rear and top.

What cases are you looking at? I tend to be conservative so things like flashy shapes, front doors and poly glass side panels don't appeal to me. No, I won't be buying that "Transformers" or "Hulk" case. I want good air flow, with plenty of fans, lots of HDDs slots, top mounted fans, room for a top mounted water cooler (air fans are easier to install and remove), etc. ymmv.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back