Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7970 x2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all I'm just about ready to dive into the hackintosh world. I'm looking to a build a machine that will be 4k ultrahd ready for color correction and editing purposes and won't be too intense to set up. I'm a film editor by trade, but have been asked more frequently of late if I could handle the finishing of some of the indie films I edit.

That being said, I'm a tinkerer and don't like the closed system of the new mac pro where I'd have to spend a fortune on thunderbolt periferals to do everything I need.

Here is the build I'm considering and just wondered if anyone saw anything that would get me into trouble:

Intel Core i7-4770K

2x
GTX 680 (overclocked) via sli
OR: 2x GTX 780 3GB via sli
OR: 1xTitan6GB (not sure which config would get me better performance for 4k in Davinci and Premiere when needed and take advantage of cuda acceleration better for the best price?)

32GB RAM (not sure if using DDR3 PC3-14900 would work with hackintosh smoothly vs standard 1600 since they cost the same)

GA-Z87X-UD7 TH for motherboard

2x256GB crucial SSD system drive and additional fast storage

4x3TB storage drive

MaxPower eSata 6G Pro PCIe controller card for external eSata storage
[h=3][/h]
Corsair Carbide 500R

Corsair 650 Watt Modular
Thinking that I'd monitor via the thunderbolt 2 ports or possibly via motherboard's hdmi/processor's integrated graphics with a Seiki 4k monitor?
Also, depending on performance, might consider a red rocket card if needed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all I'm just about ready to dive into the hackintosh world. I'm looking to a build a machine that will be 4k ultrahd ready for color correction and editing purposes and won't be too intense to set up. I'm a film editor by trade, but have been asked more frequently of late if I could handle the finishing of some of the indie films I edit.

That being said, I'm a tinkerer and don't like the closed system of the new mac pro where I'd have to spend a fortune on thunderbolt periferals to do everything I need.

Here is the build I'm considering and just wondered if anyone saw anything that would get me into trouble:

Intel Core i7-4770K

2x
GTX 680 (overclocked) via sli
OR: 2x GTX 780 3GB via sli
OR: 1xTitan6GB (not sure which config would get me better performance for 4k in Davinci and Premiere when needed and take advantage of cuda acceleration better for the best price?)

32GB RAM (not sure if using DDR3 PC3-14900 would work with hackintosh smoothly vs standard 1600 since they cost the same)

GA-Z87X-UD7 TH for motherboard

2x256GB crucial SSD system drive and additional fast storage

4x3TB storage drive

MaxPower eSata 6G Pro PCIe controller card for external eSata storage
Corsair Carbide 500R

Corsair 650 Watt Modular
Thinking that I'd monitor via the thunderbolt 2 ports or possibly via motherboard's hdmi/processor's integrated graphics with a Seiki 4k monitor?
Also, depending on performance, might consider a red rocket card if needed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

One of the moderators will be posting a user build with the UD7-TH this month. Follow that thread
to learn about Th.Bolt on a CustoMac. I wouldn't spend even 500 dollars on a Seiki 4K monitor for
Pro use. Dell will have some sub 1000 dollar 4K monitors coming out in 2014. Some sources have
said they will support 4K content at 60 Hz instead of 30 Hz like the Seiki. I've never seen PC3-14900
ram. What is the reason you'd want to use that? Just checked, it's only 204 pin ram so it won't work
on an ATX motherboard anyway. I't's not an option. You can get the crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 GHz
ram in 4 sticks of 8GB for your build. There is no SLI in a CustoMac as of right now so two 680's
don't really double your GPU processing power. That's my 2cts. worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back