Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my specs. I came here to see if these would work. I was looking towards a Mac Mini-like build, and perhaps take on the task of putting these exact if not similar components into Mac Mini housing from 2007-09, because I want to, ideally have an optical bay for a bluray player. I sometimes do plenty of graphic-intensive work as a hobby and since I've owned a Macbook Pro for five years [2011], I was figuring on making a desktop build that would be within a 1000-1300 budget.

UPDATED BUILD:
-Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB
-Zalman CPU Cooler for Intel Socket
-MSI Performance Gaming Intel Z170A [Gaming Pro, Mini ITX]
-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
-Panasonic UJ67 BR Drive- Slot Load
-Intel Core i7-6700-k Processor

Optional:
-NZXT Computer Case CA-MANTC-M1
Or: -Mac Mini housing.
-PowerCube housing.
-compatible blu-ray drive.

Would it be worth to do the work of adding an optical drive for an inexperienced builder, or would it be better if I went for the NZXT casing? Or should I just buy a used Mac Mini and install a bluray drive in that? I have cold feet, but the idea and challenge of building one has been wracking in my brain. I've looked at the nice mods of the Mac Mini and PowerCube housing, and the latter has sort of been in my brain because I've loved both form factors.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you want a BDR for a Mac Mini, use the Panasonic UJ-267 slot loading drive.
You will have a very hard time trying to get a discrete GPU to fit a Mac Mini case - they were not made for having discrete GPUs

Here's the updated build list

-Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB
-Zalman CPU Cooler for Intel Socket
-MSI Performance Gaming Intel Z170A [Gaming Pro, Mini ITX]
-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
-Panasonic UJ67 BR Drive- Slot Load
-Intel Core i7-6700-k Processor
-Corsair power supply. You know the one.

I was going to consider buying a used Sony Vaio VGX on Amazon for its few useful parts like a blu-ray drive and the sleek case, in the idea I was going to do a minor case-mod and add the Apple logo above the VAIO logo on top, while finding a way to change it from a tray to a form that would be right for a slot. However, I am still wondering on whether I should do that since it altogether is $400 because it would bump up its costs, though it could look really nice. I found a site to get the Mac Mini casing with all its bells and whistles which makes the Deluxe build with all the above cheaper than whatever it would be offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back