GTX 660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
None of the Usb 2/3 works Z77X-UP4 TH "Solved"

Just got the New GB UD4 TH board, but none of the usb ports work. Not even the added Usb2 bracket gives a working usb after the Mountain Lion install loaded.
Also tried one other ssd with Mountain installed
Checked this page for all bios settings but no glory. http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html
Next try will be selecting MBP 9.2 smbios.plist

Maybe i'm missing something or this mobo does not work at all.

RW

Edit: looks like when selecting MBP9.2 smbios only the usb2 internal headers are working > None of the usb3 ports work (on usb2/3) even the supposed to native 4 ports on the back and front header do not work.

Just got the New GB UD4 TH board, but none of the usb ports work. Not even the added Usb2 bracket gives a working usb after the Mountain Lion install loaded.
Also tried one other ssd with Mountain installed
Checked this page for all bios settings but no glory. http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html
Next try will be selecting MBP 9.2 smbios.plist

Maybe i'm missing something or this mobo does not work at all.

RW

Edit: looks like when selecting MBP9.2 smbios only the usb2 internal headers are working > None of the usb3 ports work (on usb2/3) even the supposed to native 4 ports on the back and front header do not work.

http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=66178&start=0

Gigabyte Z77 MBs & USB

I was interested in this motherboard. But I read here somewhere that USB is controlled by the VIA VL800 chip, which would likely mean that it is NOT compatible as it is with Macosx and could be the reason you are haveing problems.

Anybody who is using any of the Gigabyte TB motherboards, can you please confirm or deny that usb using this chip is a problem. I have been using an i7 960 (X58) which works very well but it is now no longer available via gigabyte, I would like to upgrade for no better reason than not to be running an outdated MB and processor. It would be nice to be able to experiment with the TB ports, but problems with the USB would not be a positive move for me.

On a personal level I would always prefer Asus boards over gigabyte, as did our late friend Revogirl who favoured these as well and always helped out with power and bios issues. but she is not there any more!! I was put off Asus as my X58 Sabertooth would not work with 10.7.4, but luckily had this X58A-UD3R (Ver1.0) gathering dust in a cupboard, so I am now wary of judging Gigabyte. It was a relief that ML runs very well on this gigabyte board and it all works as I use minimum kexts, USB sound, and an apple compatible (Yukon2) ethernet card. But it would be nice to go Ivy Bridge but NOT while such questions exist. I am also wary of alternate drivers like those from LaCie as I do not believe that they were successful for most.

If it is a problem with compatibility I would not have thought TM would have included those boards in his customac builds like he did for the 2012 processors in his latest guide...

I would really like to know whether my assumptions regarding the USB chip on the three gigabyte TB boards is a problem for OSX....

I just ordered the GA-Z77X-UP4-TH for my new and first ever build. :(

So we are thinking that USB 3.0 won't be supported? I find it strange that they put this in the 2012 build guide for PRO's if this is the case.

Can someone in the know chime in about this maybe?

Thanks!

According to Gigabyte, 4 back panel USB 2/3 ports are on the VL800 but the other ports are intel chipset USB ports, so should work OK. It is a pretty new board- I can't find one in Canada yet.

I hope the USB issue gets resolved since I was about to purchase this particular MB. I know from now on I wait even if its in the custom build I still wait to see how things are going before I decide what I am buying.

I bought the recommended Z68X-UD4-B3 last year and I still do not think this board is anymore compatible over an Asus one. AS a matter of fact lately I have been having issues with some of my my GB boards such as the GA-EP45-UD3p. Both had to go back to GB for repair. One had a bad PCI-E and the other ended up with a corrupted BIOS.

None of my ASus board have ever had a problem. I decided to switch back from my Core 2 Duo GB EP45 boards to the ASus Maximus boards as they were an easy install for Mountain Lion almost all vanilla except the usual Audio/Ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back