Contribute
Register

Non-overclocked i7-950 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another warmish 950 checking in. Run a Coolermaster 212 on my i7-950 in a Coolermaster storm scout case. Idle is around 37-38 with room temp at 22 C, full load stress testing have seen 63 or so max. Cores 1 and 5 always seem to be a bit hotter than the others. One nice thing about this case is by removing the back panel you have complete access to the back of the motherboard in the CPU area so really easy to change coolers.

I read somewhere they suggest with these cpus to use a small BB sized ball of compound rather than spreading it out, apparently some processors are wavy so by squishing it out like that any voids will be filled. Naturally I read that after building my machine... :lol:

max is 100°C by intel. I'd worry if it goes above 80 or 90.
Also I'd worry if it goes above 70° if you are just gaming or doing work. If you use IntelBurnTest+Prime95+MemTest it might go up to 80°. Also try to lower vcore in the BIOS if you do not OC you might be able to undervolt your cpu = less heat. also get airflow (front->back or back->front) and maybe a 2nd fan for your heatsink... I got a NInja 3 and just ordered a 2nd of their slipstream adjustable (e.g. you can control the fan speed) for the Ninja 3 (push+pull both will be running at 600-900 RPM, not noticable vs graphics card or anything else making noise ;p).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back