Contribute
Register

No Wireless in Windows 7 after installing Mavericks - No Connections Available - Red X

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7 4770K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Build:
i7 4770k
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
GTX 770
256GB SSD - (Windows 7)
250GB HDD - (Mavericks)

In short, I completed the build, and installed Windows 7. At this point everything works perfectly, as one would expect. I then installed Mavericks on a separate HDD. I ran through all the standard steps and everything worked beautifully apart from the wifi.

I followed the instructions in this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/111209-ga-z87x-ud5-th-ga-z87x-ud7-th-3.html
to edit ktexts and get the wireless and bluetooth working. They both seem to work flawlessly, apart from intermittent slowdowns of the Apple Magic Mouse over bluetooth.

Boot back over to windows, and the wireless icon in the dock shows a red x and states No Connections Available. I've used the Gigabyte discs and device manager to disable/enable, uninstall/install, and just about everything short of reinstalling Windows all together to get wifi working again but to no avail. Pages and pages of google results reveal absolutely nothing.

I can boot back to OSX at any time and wifi works perfectly. In Windows, internet via ethernet cable works perfectly. The only issue here is the wifi adapter while I'm booted into Windows 7.

Has anyone encountered this or might anyone have any tips or suggestions?

If you do a cold start into Windows does the WiFi still not work or is it only when you reboot from OS X that it fails to work?

If you do a cold start into Windows does the WiFi still not work or is it only when you reboot from OS X that it fails to work?

It happens no matter which way I get into Windows. Because I installed windows first, if I cold start my computer it will boot straight to Windows. If I hold f12 it takes me to choose the boot drive, and if I select the Mavericks HDD the wireless works perfectly.

I should add that I just tried to use iMessage in OS X and was unable to sign in. I'm trying the FileNVRAM.dylib fix now, so we'll see how that goes. Just wanted to add it to this thread in case anyone had ideas on how that might affect the issue.

Well the iMessage fix won't work for me. Also, used Chameleon Bootloader which caused OS X to restart every time it reached the Apple logo screen at boot, so that had to go. Multibeast has been perfect so far. I'm not to concerned about iMessage at the moment so I'm not going to bother with that for now. Wifi in Windows is much more important to me. I need my Counter Strike.

Well the iMessage fix won't work for me. Also, used Chameleon Bootloader which caused OS X to restart every time it reached the Apple logo screen at boot, so that had to go. Multibeast has been perfect so far. I'm not to concerned about iMessage at the moment so I'm not going to bother with that for now. Wifi in Windows is much more important to me. I need my Counter Strike.

On a Windows running computer, go to the GA site and look up your board. There is a support downloads button where you normally look at the specs for the board. Click on that tab and download all the drivers for the board and put them on a USB drive. Boot Windows on your build and install them. Reboot, shutdown. Power off, disconnect power cable. Hold down the power button for 60 seconds.
Reconnect power and boot up.

Partial success! This appears to have solved the "No Connections Available"/Red X issue, but now any network I attempt to connect to shows "The Connection was unsuccessful"/Limited connectivity. I had actually tried that same solution before but without the unplug/holding the power button so thanks for getting me past that first step. Any ideas why this new bit is happening?

Partial success! This appears to have solved the "No Connections Available"/Red X issue, but now any network I attempt to connect to shows "The Connection was unsuccessful"/Limited connectivity. I had actually tried that same solution before but without the unplug/holding the power button so thanks for getting me past that first step. Any ideas why this new bit is happening?

Nevermind! I just needed to recheck the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) switch in Wireless Network Connection Properties. It was one of the last things I had tried before I used your solution and I forgot to set it back afterward. Your solution worked perfectly! Thanks again.

After another boot over to OS X and back I have learned something new.

Apparently the issue occurs in Windows 7 anytime after the machine has been booted to OS X Mavericks. I assume that when Mavericks boots the ktexts must do something which holds state over into windows. The issue is resolved by switching the machine off, disconnecting the power, and holding the power button. At least there's no need for driver installation every time. For now I suppose I know what to expect every time I switch operating systems.

Nevermind! I just needed to recheck the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) switch in Wireless Network Connection Properties. It was one of the last things I had tried before I used your solution and I forgot to set it back afterward. Your solution worked perfectly! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back