Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've followed all instructions, and all seems well. Except I have no wifi. I have a HP ProBook Series 4530s XU017UT, when i research that it says it has the atheros card which should be supported.

What are the next steps or things I should check? Is it possible I got a model with a realtek card and I'm going to need to do a swap out for wifi to work?

Thanks

I've followed all instructions, and all seems well. Except I have no wifi. I have a HP ProBook Series 4530s XU017UT, when i research that it says it has the atheros card which should be supported.

What are the next steps or things I should check? Is it possible I got a model with a realtek card and I'm going to need to do a swap out for wifi to work?

Thanks
all instructions? Which guide, installer did you use?
In System Preferences-Network do you have Wi-FI? Can you add one using + sign?
Do you know your Vendor Device ID's? Something like 168C 002B is the standard one.

Instructions for fresh install from the latest beta probook installer, with the latest unibeast for mountain lion.

In network preferences, when i hit the + sign the only options i have to add are bluetooth and virtual network stuff.

where would i find the device id? in the bios? I can boot up and look, Did many of the 4430s come with wifi cards that are not compatible? i.e. i'll have to get a usb dongle or replace the wifi card? I want something that runs as an airport native if possible.

where would i find the device id? in the bios? I can boot up and look,

In Windows: Control Panel-System-Device Manager-Network Adapters-Atheros-Properties

ath.png

Linux: Download latest Ubuntu, burn it to CD and boot from it in the Live mode. After opening "terminal" application type:

lspci -vn

We don't have generally problems with Atheros adapters unless HP changed something recently. Other sugestion, remove battery, reset BIOS to defaults and look for WiFi adapter again.
btw. did it work before in any other OS?

I wiped windows, so that sucks cant easily check if it's an atheros card.

I dont have any cds, but I supposed i can try to do a live ubuntu usb drive and find out the wifi card.

Do most 4530s have atheros? I'm thinking maybe i'm just unlucky and got a non atheros card.

I guess I'll have to boot into linux to find out.

It was working in windows, but i just did a quick test to make sure stuff worked and booted (was a refurb, didnt look at the wifi card, rookie mistake)

I wiped windows, so that sucks cant easily check if it's an atheros card.

I dont have any cds, but I supposed i can try to do a live ubuntu usb drive and find out the wifi card.

Do most 4530s have atheros? I'm thinking maybe i'm just unlucky and got a non atheros card.

I guess I'll have to boot into linux to find out.

It was working in windows, but i just did a quick test to make sure stuff worked and booted (was a refurb, didnt look at the wifi card, rookie mistake)
Remove battery and the back cover (very easy in Probook) and check the writing on the small card in the center. This should give you a general idea if card is Atheros, Ralink, Intel or Realtek

If not, nothing to worry about. The cost $15-$25 and easy replacement.

Awesome. Will do when I get home and have a screwdriver.

My model number in bios is HP ProBook 4530s (XU017UT#ABA)

Which everywhere i see when i google says atheros. But I did get a refurb, so who knows. Could be anything in there. I'll post back what I find when I get home later and get it open

Thanks for the help.

Great. Let us know

btw. No screwdriver needed. :)

Awesome. Will do when I get home and have a screwdriver.

My model number in bios is HP ProBook 4530s (XU017UT#ABA)

Which everywhere i see when i google says atheros. But I did get a refurb, so who knows. Could be anything in there. I'll post back what I find when I get home later and get it open

Thanks for the help.

You won't need a screwdriver. Just two of your fingers LOL

Ha. Who knew. That's a pretty nifty system.

Crap luck for me, Realtek RTL8188CEB8

So i'm hosed, have to order a replacement card right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back