Contribute
Register

No usb on osx lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heidefantastic said:
There is something interesting: as I just use Wi-Fi, I disabled Ethernet in BIOS, and the USB problem is gone!

You guys who don't need Ethernet can try this out.

you disabled the onboard lan?

I think I will need to revert back to SL 10.6.8. This keyboard/mouse/usb issue on restarts and loosing my network after sleep is just to buggy. There don't seem to be any known solutions to either problem. Maybe in a few months the bugs will get ironed out... or I'll build another system with a more compatible mobo.

Heidefantastic said:
There is something interesting: as I just use Wi-Fi, I disabled Ethernet in BIOS, and the USB problem is gone!

You guys who don't need Ethernet can try this out.
interesting indeed, for me even more as i'm expiriencing sporadic kernel panic after transmission had been installed. linking to ionetworkingfamily dependencies and 8169ethernet in particular.
i use official realtek driver 2.0.6 and started to think usb and ethernet bugs are interlinked.

moreover, just after intallation of lion i got a wierd thing having bluetoothPAN interface under network settings with assigned ip. same as if it were ethernet. after clearing interfaces and networkprefs it gets back to correct values

round up: there's smth to do with incorrect dsdt and/or other ethernet tweaks

So Just as I was about to give up I may have stumbled on a working combination:

on a Gigabyte P55A UD3 Rev 2.0 F11 (DSDT installed) MOBO:

-install lion over SL a described
-Do the bios reset patch (posted elsewhere-- easy to do with cut n paste)
-Install the Lnx2Mac's Realtek Network Driver (I've read different things about compatability and so stayed away from this in favor or the manufactures driver but it seems to have fixed a lot of wonkiness)
-Install USB 3.0 Nec/Renesas Driver
-+/- install IOUSBFamily Rollback Kext (only supposed to be needed for non-DSDT but used on my DSDT install)

Now I can sleep and wake without loosing network and restart/reboot without loosing keyboard. I am continuing to test (reboot, reboot, reboot) but so far it seems solid!

I do agree-- this issue seems to involve both the USB and Network in some as of yet undetermined related manner.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

jsaul said:
So Just as I was about to give up I may have stumbled on a working combination:

on a Gigabyte P55A UD3 Rev 2.0 F11 (DSDT installed) MOBO:

-install lion over SL a described
-Do the bios reset patch (posted elsewhere-- easy to do with cut n paste)
-Install the Lnx2Mac's Realtek Network Driver (I've read different things about compatability and so stayed away from this in favor or the manufactures driver but it seems to have fixed a lot of wonkiness)
-Install USB 3.0 Nec/Renesas Driver
-+/- install IOUSBFamily Rollback Kext (only supposed to be needed for non-DSDT but used on my DSDT install)

Did you install the iousbfamily kext on the installer drive or SL drive?

Now I can sleep and wake without loosing network and restart/reboot without loosing keyboard. I am continuing to test (reboot, reboot, reboot) but so far it seems solid!

I do agree-- this issue seems to involve both the USB and Network in some as of yet undetermined related manner.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

did you install the iousbfamily kext on the installer drive or sl drive?

Guys, i figured it out and got usb and network working :headbang:

for ethernet i now use Realtek1000SL.kext (taken from my SL config). better is worse than known good :lol:

just copy it (attached) to /S/L/E

then in terminal do:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Realtek1000SL.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Realtek1000SL.kext

reboot and enjoy your ethernet AND usb :)

oh, the only thing -- i have to manually set 1000baseT/full-duplex under Network>Ethernet>Advanced>Hardware to get Gbit. Otherwise (automatic) it sets 100baseTX for me.

Attachments

• RealtekR1000SL.kext.zip
    66 KB · Views: 96
beland said:

for ethernet i now use Realtek1000SL.kext (taken from my SL config). better is worse than known good :lol:

then in terminal do:

oh, the only thing -- i have to manually set 1000baseT/full-duplex under Network>Ethernet>Advanced>Hardware to get Gbit. Otherwise (automatic) it sets 100baseTX for me.

the realtek kext was copied to the installer drive's s/l/e right?

you typed in this command on the terminal while you're still booted up to snow leopard right?

macbookpro32-

I just installed the kext using MultiBeast right to (now) lion drive. Not the INSTALL drive. I don't touch that.

macbookpro32 said:
beland said:

then in terminal do:

the realtek kext was copied to the installer drive's s/l/e right?

you typed in this command on the terminal while you're still booted up to snow leopard right?
I'm glad yours worked!! I wasn't as lucky....all I did was break Internet and still no USB. But thanks for the tip anyway!!

Rick

Hmmm. Both of my 1156 based systems work w/o issues. Check out the MultiBeast Configuration thread (link in my signature block) to make sure you're not adding more kexts than you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back