Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Other than the NVIDIA drivers (believe it or not, the default macOS drivers are doing a fine job), everything is working, now that I've employed Toleda's audio fix... BUT, the computer will not go to sleep. It goes into something like sleep, in that the screen will freeze (but not go dark — whatever was on the screen remains on the screen), and the computer will "wake up" when I press the spacebar... but it doesn't appear to be actual sleep.

Also, I noticed when I was rebooting to press F2 and F4 at the Clover Screen, there are still two Install macOS options in Clover:
  • Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
  • Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
But install seems to have finished okay... so, this is confusing.

Debug files are attached. I'm attaching a separate output from the IOReg, because it didn't look like the automated script captured it correctly.

Attachments

• debug_10913.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 100
  • Bill’s iMac.ioreg
    4.2 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Several things you can do to see if they help
1- make sure you have a SSDT for your CPU
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

I do... and a customized SSDT for USB ports, too, so I never need to use the port limit patch.

2-In terminal type the following code and see if something is stopping the sleep
Code:
sudo pmset -g

Here's what I get form that:

System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 0
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake 1
powernap 1
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
standbydelayhigh 86400
sleep 15 (sleep prevented by sharingd)
autopoweroffdelay 28800
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
Standby Battery Threshold 50
standbydelaylow 86400

I'm not sure how to interpret the bolded text...

Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

I get a lot from this, but it's basically a repetition of two different lines:

2018-09-18 06:27:55.561836-0400 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-09-18 07:01:07.248314-0400 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: GLAN XDCI XHC

3- Check external usb devices try removing and seeing if something is causing your issue

No effect. Only USB devices are the Time Machine external HDD, CD burner, and monitor USB ports.

Here's what I got when I just tried to manually put it to sleep and wake it up:

Sep 28 16:34:35 Bills-iMac-2 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.duetknowledged[788]): Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 2: No such file or directory: /usr/local/libexec/duetknowledged
Sep 28 16:34:35 Bills-iMac-2 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.duetknowledged[788]): Service setup event to handle failure and will not launch until it fires.
Sep 28 16:34:35 Bills-iMac-2 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.duetknowledged[788]): Service exited with abnormal code: 78

Last edited:
So, upon further Googling and trial-and-error, I'm wondering if the computer IS going to sleep, but the screen-freeze effect is a byproduct of not having the proper NVIDIA web drivers? Could a lack of acceleration cause the screen to freeze, rather than go black?

I have exactly the same problem. But I am also guessing that it is about nvidia webdrivers. Hope you will find a solution anyway, for now I'm waiting to search for a fix until I got the webdrivers.

Other than the NVIDIA drivers (believe it or not, the default macOS drivers are doing a fine job), everything is working, now that I've employed Toleda's audio fix... BUT, the computer will not go to sleep. It goes into something like sleep, in that the screen will freeze (but not go dark — whatever was on the screen remains on the screen), and the computer will "wake up" when I press the spacebar... but it doesn't appear to be actual sleep.

Also, I noticed when I was rebooting to press F2 and F4 at the Clover Screen, there are still two Install macOS options in Clover:
  • Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
  • Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
But install seems to have finished okay... so, this is confusing.

Debug files are attached. I'm attaching a separate output from the IOReg, because it didn't look like the automated script captured it correctly.

Is SSDT-UIAC-Z170N.aml patch correct? Did you make it by your self or "borrow" somewhere?

I don't know about Z170N, but looks like you don't have proper Power Managment and Hardware Acceleration enabled (?). Just want to make sure.

I was able to fix sleep issues after I made custom SSDT for USB-ports and bought proper WiFi adapter. You can check my build for more info.

Last edited:
Is SSDT-UIAC-Z170N.aml patch correct? Did you make it by your self or "borrow" somewhere?

I don't know about Z170N, but looks like you don't have proper Power Managment and Hardware Acceleration enabled (?). Just want to make sure.

I was able to fix sleep issues after I made custom SSDT for USB-ports and bought proper WiFi adapter. You can check my build for more info.

Thanks... I followed this guide, and RehabMan was kind enough to verify that my SSDT-UIAC-Z170N.aml patch was correct. Ditto on Power Management. Toleda verified I had done that properly, too.

Sleep worked perfectly in Sierra and High Sierra after I did the SSDT-UIAC-Z170N.aml patch... it wasn't until Mojave that I started having problems again. I'm also using an actual Apple (Broadcom) WiFi/Bluetooth card. But thanks... those were all fertile grounds for exploration...

Thanks... I followed this guide, and RehabMan was kind enough to verify that my SSDT-UIAC-Z170N.aml patch was correct. Ditto on Power Management. RehabMan verified I had done that properly, too.

Sleep worked perfectly in Sierra and High Sierra after I did the SSDT-UIAC-Z170N.aml patch... it wasn't until Mojave that I started having problems again. I'm also using an actual Apple (Broadcom) WiFi/Bluetooth card. But thanks... those were all fertile grounds for exploration...

Ok, so it should be easier to make it sleep :)

Did you experiment with darkwake parameter? I used 8 in HS, but in Mojave switched to 2.

Did you experiment with darkwake parameter? I used 8 in HS, but in Mojave switched to 2.

No, I haven't tried that. Why not? I'll give it a whack... thanks!

Ok, so it should be easier to make it sleep :)

Well, that almost worked... it went to sleep, but then did the old (like years ago) thing where it immediately woke back up and improperly ejected my external USB drive. But it looks like we're on the right track...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back