Contribute
Register

No QE/CI (5mb VRAM) - Tried to fix, but stuck. Help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Toshiba Tecra Z50-C
CPU
i7-6600U
Graphics
HD 520
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Here's the hardware:
Toshiba Tecra R950 (PT530C), 8gb RAM, 128GB SSD, Dedicated Radeon HD7570M, 1600x900, etc.

I've managed to get audio working, the mouse and keyboard work (though the trackpad is VERY slow so I'm using an external mouse for now, I can fix that later), no webcam yet blah blah. The big one I'm working on right now is the dedicated graphics to get basic acceleration working.

As of right now, I've tried a variety of things from doing a simple injection (Inject ATI) which allows the card to be found and is recognized as a HD7650, though I get only 5mb of VRAM. Changing this in Clover does nothing.

I've tried injecting different EDID's (instead of 68411002, I used 683D1002, kept the same Pondweed profile however) and while this loads a different driver entirely (Instead of using AMDLegacy, it uses AMDSupport instead for kext)

I don't know enough to know if I'm on the right track but something I've seen repeatedly is people using the firmware ROM in the rom folder to boot. The only problem is that I can't find any software that'll rip the BIOS out of the video card. I'm not sure if it would help even, but I thought it might be worth trying.

I've attached the troubleshooting-guide required files as per RehabMan, if someone could maybe point me in the right direction - I would appreciate it. I'm down for reading and trying to figure it out, I'm just not sure if I'm barking up the right foxhole.

Let me know if I'm missing anything. This is a fresh install, though I've tried a bunch of things so it's possible that I have a mess which could be causing issues too.

Attachments

• RehabManTecraR950.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 39
Here's the hardware:
Toshiba Tecra R950 (PT530C), 8gb RAM, 128GB SSD, Dedicated Radeon HD7570M, 1600x900, etc.

I've managed to get audio working, the mouse and keyboard work (though the trackpad is VERY slow so I'm using an external mouse for now, I can fix that later), no webcam yet blah blah. The big one I'm working on right now is the dedicated graphics to get basic acceleration working.

As of right now, I've tried a variety of things from doing a simple injection (Inject ATI) which allows the card to be found and is recognized as a HD7650, though I get only 5mb of VRAM. Changing this in Clover does nothing.

I've tried injecting different EDID's (instead of 68411002, I used 683D1002, kept the same Pondweed profile however) and while this loads a different driver entirely (Instead of using AMDLegacy, it uses AMDSupport instead for kext)

I don't know enough to know if I'm on the right track but something I've seen repeatedly is people using the firmware ROM in the rom folder to boot. The only problem is that I can't find any software that'll rip the BIOS out of the video card. I'm not sure if it would help even, but I thought it might be worth trying.

I've attached the troubleshooting-guide required files as per RehabMan, if someone could maybe point me in the right direction - I would appreciate it. I'm down for reading and trying to figure it out, I'm just not sure if I'm barking up the right foxhole.

Let me know if I'm missing anything. This is a fresh install, though I've tried a bunch of things so it's possible that I have a mess which could be causing issues too.

AMD Radeon/ATI graphics card info:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/174-ati/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Okay - I think I need some help. Not fixing, just understanding.

I was looking through all of that and when I review my DSDT (Origin) pulled, I see both of these devices:
_SB.PCI0.PEGP (This is the one that gets loaded when I boot up, this is the one put forth to Sierra and that's what I see in IORegistryExplorer)

But then there's this:
_SB.PCI0.GFX0

This one seems to be 'off' in that IORegExplorer doesn't see it at all. That said, it's the device with the most hooks into the DSDT meaning - There are 39 references to it throughout the DSDT, but only 6 of the PEGP.

I could be wrong, and this is where my question is:
Does that mean there are actually 2 graphics cards (Intel + Radeon) in this machine or is GFX0 possibly unrelated and just conveniently named? I've been reading those threads for about 3 hours now trying to soak in the information and while I'm getting bits and pieces I'm having a hard time understanding if I'm correct about what I'm seeing.

Could you review and nudge me in the right direction please? Or at least let me know if I'm misunderstanding something?

Okay, after many hours of reading, scouring the internet, looking at various guides, etc... I've figured out that there *IS* only the Radeon cards. I think I'm being misled, GFX0 is indeed the hook in the bios for most systems but everything else I look at suggests that there's only the Radeon card as the main device. For example, in the DSDT, there's no _ON or _OFF GPU switching happening at all. It's just the radeon despite the hooks. I'm not a programmer either, so it's hard to follow some of the code and exactly what's happening and what needs patching, etc.

I'm going to start from scratch again though. I have a feeling that I tried to fix something which wasn't a fix and just broke things further. I'll start from the beginning again and I'm going to see if I can do the absolute minimum to get things working and start with that as a base point. (Thinking minimal tweaks to make things happen)

As an aside, I have an old i5 Lenovo M83 with the Intel HD 4600 which I was able to install High Sierra on without *ANY* issues whatsoever. It just works except audio but that's a pretty easy fix.

I'll keep plugging away and trying to understand this stuff. Maybe I should have started with a desktop instead of a laptop to try and get working. *shrugs*

Okay - I think I need some help. Not fixing, just understanding.

I was looking through all of that and when I review my DSDT (Origin) pulled, I see both of these devices:
_SB.PCI0.PEGP (This is the one that gets loaded when I boot up, this is the one put forth to Sierra and that's what I see in IORegistryExplorer)

But then there's this:
_SB.PCI0.GFX0

This one seems to be 'off' in that IORegExplorer doesn't see it at all. That said, it's the device with the most hooks into the DSDT meaning - There are 39 references to it throughout the DSDT, but only 6 of the PEGP.

I could be wrong, and this is where my question is:
Does that mean there are actually 2 graphics cards (Intel + Radeon) in this machine or is GFX0 possibly unrelated and just conveniently named? I've been reading those threads for about 3 hours now trying to soak in the information and while I'm getting bits and pieces I'm having a hard time understanding if I'm correct about what I'm seeing.

Could you review and nudge me in the right direction please? Or at least let me know if I'm misunderstanding something?

_SB.PCI0.GFX0 is Intel IGPU.
Your laptop doesn't have it, so the associated code in DSDT is not used, not relevant.

_SB.PCI0.GFX0 is Intel IGPU.
Your laptop doesn't have it, so the associated code in DSDT is not used, not relevant.

Thanks RahabMan - This is kind of concluded after re-reading through the DSDT and after I had posted. The next challenge for me is to actually get it running.

I'll keep poking away at it and will post if I get really stuck.

hi .

Did you finally got it fixed? Im looking on this laptop to buy and would really like to know.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back